We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

Hi,

Will be traveling to Melbourne in the last week of May. I have done a draft itinerary and would really appreciate your kind advice if this is good since its my first time there.

1st Day:

reach Melbourne in the morning (start roadtrip) - visit Apollo Bay & Port Fairy

Stay overnight at Port Fairy (any affordable hostel recommendations??)

2nd Day:

Drive from Port Fairy to Grampians

(overnight at Grampians -> any gd affordable hostel/apartment recommendations??)

3rd Day:

Explore Grampians full day

4th Day:

Drive from Grampians to Ballarat Wildlife Park

From Ballarat drive back to Melbourne city

The rest of the days, I am planning to explore the city area and Melbourne. Btw, is Daylesford worth it for a visit? My friend recommended to visit that place but I am not sure what is really nice to see/do over there. Anyone know?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

The whole GOR all the way to Port Fairy on the first day? What time are you arriving? Did you want to see anything else along the way apart from Apollo Bay? (And why Apollo Bay?)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

Days 1 and 2 are too busy. With the distances involved you will not have time to see anything. You need to add another day to your GOR trip so you can enjoy it.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

Hi,

I hope Day one doesnt start with a flight from Singapore to Melbourne? Not the road trip to start after an overseas flight and as the others have said a huge driving day with no time to sight see.

Day two again much too much driving.

Days three and four are ok but you need to rethink or add days to make the trip enjoyable. Maybe if you charter a chopper?

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

I agree with the others, you need to add an extra day for the GOR, maybe stay in Apollo Bay overnight the first night.

For accommodation, look at YHA https://www3.yha.com.au/hostels/vic/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

hi,

another vote for adding a day onto your itinerary.

Melbourne - Lorne - Port Fairy - Grampians - Daylesford.

Distances - approx.

Melbourne to Lorne - 142 km, 2hrs

Lorne to Port Fairy - 3hrs

Port fairy to Grampians - 170 km, 2 .5hours

Grampians to Daylesford - 217 km, 3 hours

Daylesford to Airport - 107 km, 1 hour 16 mins

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

Thanks all for your advice.

Yeah we will be arriving in Melbourne from our overseas flight in the morning about 9plus. We thought of driving straight out to GOR on the first day so as not to waste time. Noted on adding a day onto the itinerary.

You think it will be better to drive from the Melbourne Airport to Ports Fairy or Apollo Bay on the first day? Which one has more things to see? I have to take into consideration a place to overnight on the first night too..

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

Linda, I suggest you visit the official tourist website for the GOR and from there list what you might like to see along it. There is too much to choose from for us to make suggestions especially with your current plan. I emphasise, it is a road, a long and winding and scenic one, not a single 'destination'. You do not want to drive it in a rushed and tired state. You will waste time driving past everything and seeing nothing if you drive all the way to Port Fairy on Day 1. There are more choices than Port Fairy and Apollo Bay, and it's not simply a question of which *town* has more to see.

Btw you didn't answer my question about why Apollo Bay. (The more we understand about visitors' knowledge and perceptions, the better we can help them.)

Edited: 11:54 pm, March 14, 2013
Dromana, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

That is a lot to do in a short time .. the Grampians is ok but a long way to drive unless you have a special reason for going there .. Ballarat wildlife park is fine but perhaps it is very touristy .. Ok if you want to see a koala or kangaroo .. but maybe the Melbourne zoo would be more convenient. Apollo Bay is a beautiful beach but the Great Ocean Road is the real winner .. So much to see along that road .. a sop at Loch Ard Gorge or the 12 Apostles is a winner and worth taking a helicopter flight .. You will see a lot in a short amount of time

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

Please do not consider driving the GOR after an overnight flight from Singapore. It is a narrow, windy road with lots of tourists, many of whom are from countries where they drive on the other side of the road. Your safety is very important as is the safety of other road users. Also, you will not get the chance to see any of the amazing sights if you try to do it at this pace. Post no 5 contains a good itinerary but the suggested 3 hours from Lorne to Port Fairy will take you all day due to the amount of sights you will want to see along the way.

Can I suggest:

Melb to Apollo Bay - stay in the YHA Youth Hostel, it is about 100m from the shops and beach and is very nice. Spend the afternoon chilling out at the beach and have a nice dinner somewhere.

Apollo Bay to Port Fairy. Get an early start as you will need to stop frequently along this road. Take a helicopter flight over the 12 Apostles if you can afford it. If you can manage it, a day exploring Port Fairy and Warrnambool is worth the time.

Port Fairy to Halls Gap (main town in the Grampians). Stay in the YHA hostel - it is fantastic!

Day to explore the Grampians - do the Grand Canyon walk from the bottom if it is open and you are fit. If it is closed or you are not too fit then drive up to the car park. Visit the tourist information centre for information on walks and other interesting things in the area. It also has some great displays on local aboriginal culture. It is about 1km out of town.

Have never been to the Ballarat Wildlife Park but if you want to see Australian animals, then you can't go past Healesville sanctuary. Unfortunately for you though, it is on the other side of town from where you are going to be. However, I would be inclined to miss the Ballarat Wildlife Park and head straight from Halls Gap into Melbourne and then go to Healesville another day - you can do a tour or drive yourself.

You will have a great time - just remember Australia is a big country and there is a lot of space between the things you want to see! Stay safe and enjoy your trip

Edited: 11:35 pm, March 15, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne roadtrip itinerary..need advice pls!

I agree Healesville Sanctuary is the way to go, Daylesford is lovely