We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - 12 nights

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - 12 nights

Hi, I have had a few suggestions previously but I was wondering if any people with experience of Australia could provide a realistic itinerary for 12 nights? I would arrive on 17th January 2014.

I have to depart from Sydney. However I am flexible with my arrival airport.

I want to see as much as possible (usual tourist spots, scenery, day trips) but also some time to relax on the beaches (not into watersports though).

Ayers Rock (probably just a night or 2 max) and possibly the Australian Open would be of interest but the tennis not a necessity.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Thanks, Brian

Melbourne
Level Contributor
44 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - 12 nights

Depends on whether you plan on driving or flying in between destinations. With only 12 days I would definitely recommend flying. While much is made about the pretend rivalry between Syd/Melb they're similar enough I wouldn't bother going to both which would free up some time. I'd suggest Nth QLD for a few days, the Daintree area is so different from anything in the UK it would be a shame to miss (Brisbane however is just another city) then fly to the centre (Alice Springs & Uluru) for a few days and then head to Syd for city sightseeing.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - 12 nights

12 nights, Sydney-Uluru-Melbourne plus any day trips from Sydney and Melbourne that interest you.

Probably fly between all three, and fly into Melbourne if you are flying out of Sydney. There seems to have been some mention of driving via Canberra or doing it as a day trip in earlier thread/s and in case you didn't see my reply, here is what I said.

>>Why the interest in Canberra? Just trying to establish your priorities. There are coach tours from Sydney but it's a very long day, IMO at the outer limits of what is reasonable for a day tour. It would be up to you to decide whether what you get to see in a very busy organised way is appealing enough for you. Since Canberra is on the way to Melbourne (with a small detour) the driving option is a valid option for some. Or maybe fly Syd-Canb-Mel? Or if the logistics are too hard and there is not sufficient reason to justify it you might reconsider whether to include it at all.<<

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - 12 nights

It depends on how much flying you want to do.

The flight between Melbourne and Sydney is one hour on the busiest flight path in the world. Easy to get flights.

The flight between Melbourne and Uluru is not as straight forward - it takes about 7 hours and there aren't as many flights each day. Having said that... Uluru is magical. A special, wonderful, place that fills the entire sky when you are there. I've been twice and have found it enchanting both times.

Given your time line you could fly into Melbourne, spend 3 nights, fly to Uluru, spend 3 nights, then fly to Sydney.

Australian Open is a lot of fun. It has a really great vibe about it. Melbourne is a great city for eating, and just being. In 3 nights you could do a few day trips depending on your interests.

Sydney is a great city for doing - and is the ultimate summer city. The harbour is really spectacular, and there is something always cool about having the Bridge and Opera House within view when you walk around the Rocks.

There's no need to go to Canberra. The only thing of any interest in Canberra is the War Memorial, which is superb, and the National Gallery of Australia, but given your limited time... it's full of roundabouts and politicians and both of those things should be avoided, especially on holidays.

There is also merit to this Daintree suggestion - it is beautiful country, but again, a long way to go, and depends on how much flying you want to do.

4. Re: Itinerary - 12 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 23, 2014