We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

We will be in Melbourne for 3 days over Easter (Fri, Sat and Sun). Is it possible to get unlimited daily passes for the tram, train and buses? If so then how much does it cost?

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

free travel in & around the city on the vintage tram & certain busses. If coming from the suburbs need to buy Myki which imo is expensive. Read the FAQ in right hand side re What is Myki? How do I pay for public transport..see my opinion no. 45. I & my husband asked several times was there a day ticket (last Oct). & got no satisfactory reply..just get a Myki they said. There is a tourist Myki card which has discount vouchers...okay if you have time to use them but otherwise get the basic Myki. Pay cash as you can top up at the stations. If you pay by Credit Card & decide to come back to Melb some other time (after 3 mths), card needs to be reactivated & takes days for credit to appear on card (apparently).

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

just read under More Melbourne Topics (right hand side) titled: Report - Public transport with kids..A good read too. Apparently this poster said it cost only $3.30 all day with Myki on weekends wish I had known that.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

You will need to purchase a Myki for each person.

It is $3.50 for all day travel on a public holiday and weekends which luckily for you, covers all of your days with the Friday being Good Friday.

Assuming it's all adults:

A Myki card is $6. So for the card + your 3 days of travel it will cost $16.50 per person.

The Myki visitor pack is $14 and includes $8 of travel. You would need to top up another $2.50 to cover your 3 days of travel which also comes to $16.50.

Visitor pack info:

www.myki.com.au/About-myki/myki-visitor-pack

If you have children/concession/senior people then it will be slightly cheaper.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

Wow this is awesome! $16.50 for unlimited train, bus and tram travel for 3 days!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

Your only option is to stick to the free City Circle tram ( onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne_details.php… ) and Tourist Shuttle bus ( thatsmelbourne.com.au/gettingaroundthecity/v… ) or buy a MyKi card.

The $14 Visitors Pack gives you discounts at some attractions around Melbourne and $8 worth of MyKi money. I don't know if you can top up the visitors pack (the website isn't clear on this)

Oherwise you buy a card ($6 non refundable) and put credit on it.

The daily weekday Zone 1 cost is $7. On the weekends and public holidays it's $3.50.

Since your travel days are all weekends and holidays, the cost per person for a MyKi card for you should be $6 (for card) + $10.50 (3 days travel) = $16.50 for three days.

Take the card home with you and keep it in case you come back for another visit.

When you arrive you can buy a MyKi card at the Skybus terminal at Melbourne Airport.

ooops - cross posted!

Edited: 9:07 pm, January 14, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

Australia has one of the most expensive public transports in the world. Its best to have this expectation before you come here. Right now MYKI is your only option for unlimited travel, but in the city center you don't really need MYKI really. Everywhere can be walked in CBD.

7. Re: Melbourne daily unlimited tram/bus/train passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 16, 2014