We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi all

I am planning to visit Melbourne in 1st week of June. As I never been to Australia, I will need help to select good and cheap hotel accommodation in Melbourne. My budget is less then A$200 a night. Also I am thinking of renting a car and driving to the hotel from airport. Any idea will the hotel charge for hotel guest parking?

I have heard abt the GOR, is it do-able by me driving to and fro on my own? Also there are factory outlets in Melbourne any idea where are they located?

Thanks...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi Robin

I stayed in the Calico suite myself! Im sure your wife will love it. However, thought i should let you know that if you or your wife is a light sleeper, you might find the sounds of cars passing by just a bit of an issue. Loft in the mill is next to the road and the calico suite is very near to the car park and road. I understand that they have commissioned a wall to be constructed but im not sure if the wall is ready by the time u are there. Having said all that, my family and i did not really have an issue with the sounds....(well no one noticed except for me! heh). the place is beautiful and sitting out in the courtyard is so lovely. We did not go to sky high for dinner as dinner has a more intimate, romantic ambience (perfect for u). I know my kids will be noisy so that option is out for us. I did however book lunch but unfortunately didnt make it there as i was having very bad morning sickness and could not tolerate eating anything at all. We did walk around the grounds of sky high for some photos of the skyline, giants chair, percy possums house.

dinner at skyhigh on 23rd i'm sure will be lovely. Do book and request for seats near the window. Do walk around the lovely shops near Loft in the mill before dinner. There is a bakery there too if you guys wanna pack some picnic basket for your trip the next day.

on 24th April, why dont you consider visiting the wineries on the way to Healesville as you will be passing through Yarra Valley anyway. I didnt do any winery visits but yeah, i could see what ellenwillow has highlighted about drinking and driving...so i guess if u are driving then its something to be aware of especially driving in unfamiliar grounds. I know there is a chocolate factory there if that interests you (along the way from Healesville to Olinda) You could plan yarra valley in the morning and healesville around noon. you can have lunch at healesville.

on 25th, u can check out at 9 or 930am and do the PB (the drive from Olinda to Belgrave is about 15mins).U are allowed to eat in PB so u can pack light bfast for eating on board and it'll be good if you could pack some snacks for your lunch too at lakeside during the 1 hour wait for your return train. There is a nice pond there with ducks roaming around and many benches that you could have your lunch. Once u have returned to Belgrave at 130pm you could head on to melbourne and you will be in time to return your car by 1700hrs as the drive back from Olinda to Melbourne is about an hour.

(If u do PB & Healesville on same day, i think by the time u reach Healesville it'll be at 230-3pm and thats gonna be a rush trying to enjoy the grounds as they close at 5pm. even if u do Healesville in the morning at take the last PB train at 230pm....it does seems to be rushing still in my opinion).

Well Robin, irregardless of how u decide to do it, im sure you will have a good trip nevertheless.

32. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2014