We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi all

I am planning to visit Melbourne in 1st week of June. As I never been to Australia, I will need help to select good and cheap hotel accommodation in Melbourne. My budget is less then A$200 a night. Also I am thinking of renting a car and driving to the hotel from airport. Any idea will the hotel charge for hotel guest parking?

I have heard abt the GOR, is it do-able by me driving to and fro on my own? Also there are factory outlets in Melbourne any idea where are they located?

Thanks...

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Budget hotels in Melbourne
Hotel Claremont
Hotel Claremont
#95 of 162 hotels in Melbourne
City Centre Budget Hotel
City Centre Budget Hotel
#101 of 162 hotels in Melbourne
Miami Hotel Melbourne
Miami Hotel Melbourne
#65 of 162 hotels in Melbourne
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi Robin,

I initially planned to do GOR from Phillip Island but it's a 4 hour drive by going back to Melbourne and out onwards to Geelong from there. The ferry option I read saves a bit of time but still 2 hours to Sorrento and another 40mins across the ferry then from there to Apollo Bay another 1 hour. Ferry also not cheap plus the issue of insurance. Thus I flipped the itinerary so I'd start GOR from Melbourne.

I stay Geelong because I want to avoid going back to the city with the car as parking in the city is an issue. Either have to pay or park at public carpark. I'm looking at Mercure Geelong but not booked yet. From Geelong I go to Healesville for a day and overnight at Yarra Valley. I don't drink but the accomodation is beautiful and I want to buy some berries/cherries. Next day Puffing Billy then after that I drive to Phillip Island to catch the penguins at 5-6pm.

Hotel in MEL city --> still looking as I prefer apartment. Apollo Bay I read Beachcomber Motel quite good. Phillip Island either Tropicana Motor Inn or Cowes (more expensive but bigger apartment).

Car rental either Hertz or Thrifty, whichever has an SUV still available and can pick up in the city. And insurance reduced to $0 for a fee.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Geelong
Geelong
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Sorrento
Sorrento
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Healesville
Healesville
Yarra Valley, Australia
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne Airport
Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine, Australia
Tropicana Motor Inn
Tropicana Motor Inn
253 Reviews
Phillip Island, Australia
Cowes
Cowes
Phillip Island, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Sorry Beachfront Motel not Beachcomber in Apollo Bay!

Mentioned in this post
Beachfront Motel
Beachfront Motel
267 Reviews
Apollo Bay, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi all

Sorry was very busy with work for the past 2 weeks and now able to squeeze some time to continue to work on my planning. I have short-listed some hotels for my trip, could you help me narrow down which are good and comfortable and accessible and clean to stay at. Or if you guys have other hotels in mind, could also recommend me too. My budget is abt aud190 per nite. Also I have plan to stay at Melbourne for 2 nights on my arrival, then travel to GOR, Geelong and Phillip island for the next 5 days. And later stay at melbourne for another 4-5 days before retiming home to Singapore. Is it possible to book my hotel for my last leg when I am in melbourne just in case I dun like the hotel which I stay for the 1st 2 nights when I initial arrival. Or if I like possible to book for my last leg? Will I get good price for make such last minute booking during mth of apr? My timeline for my trip:

19 apr: night flight form Singapore to melbourne.

20 apr: arrive Melbourne in the morning

21 apr: roam ard Melbourne city

22 apr: drive Melbourne to Apollo bay

23 apr: drive Apollo bay to port Campbell

24 apr: drive port Campbell to Geelong

25 apr: drive Geelong to Phillip island

26 apr: drive Phillip island back to Melbourne city

27 - 30 apr: walk ard Melbourne city And depart back to Singapore on 40 apr afternoon.

Hotels i have short-listed:

Melbourne: punthill apartments hotel little bourke, punthill apartments hotel flinders, mercure welcome hotel, citidines on bourke, mantra on russell, the swanston hotel grand mercure

Apollo bay: beachcomber motel and apartment, seaview motel and apartment, Best western Apollo bay

Port Campbell: Loch arc motor inn, Port Campbell motor inn, Southen ocean motor inn

Geelong: mercure Geelong, Chifley Hotel, Four points by Sheraton

Phillip island: Silverwater resort, The waves apartment, Quest oceanic apartment. Need recommendation on this location.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Geelong
Geelong
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell Motor Inn
Port Campbell Motor Inn
264 Reviews
Port Campbell, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

To add 2 more hotels for Melbourne city and Apollo bay.

Rendezvous grand hotel and crossley hotel

Apollo bay: hotel Marengo and beachfront motel

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Robin, all the hotels you have mentioned are very centrally located and on location alone, you would not be disappointed. I have not stayed in any of them, but I would recommend either the Murcure Welcome on Swanston St or Citadines on Bourke St.

Mentioned in this post
Citadines on Bourke Melbourne
Citadines on Bourke...
2,426 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

hi Navy

i saw that Rendezvous grand hotel looks nice and within my range. what abt punthill apartments?

what abt the hotels for apollo bay, port campbell and phillip island?

thanks...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi

I have revised a little for my April trip to Melbourne and need your expert advice if I have miss out anything or need some correction.

19 apr: taking 0900hrs flight to Melbourne. Reach melbourne 1915hrs. Most likely stay at Fraser place Melbourne as I gt a gd deal. Des the apartment has on site parking?

20 apr: walk ard Melbourne

21 apr: collect car and start my GOR trip. Stay overnight at Apollo bay

22 apr: move onto port Campbell and visit the 12 apostles. Should I stay overnight at port Campbell? I thought of staying over at Warnambool as I can travel to an extra place and feel accommodations are better here. Will it be better?

23 apr: leaving port Campbell or Warnambool and proceed to Geelong and stay overnight.

24 apr: I have plan to drive to Phillip island from Geelong and spend a night there so that I won't need to drive back to Melbourne after watching the penguin parade. And also the next day I can still explore Phillip island before heading back to Melbourne. Will this option be good? Or I drive back to Melbourne on 24 apr then drive to Phillip island on 25 apr and drive back to Melbourne after watching he penguin parade?

25 - 28 apr: return rented car on 25 evening. walk and shop and eat around Melbourne city. Any place I can visit during my last 4 days at the city? My flight back to Singapore will be 12am on 29 apr therefore I will request for late check out, get my dinner, last min walk and shop before heading to airport.

I will be renting Holden sv6, does this car has iPod input?

Thanks...

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Fraser Place Melbourne
Fraser Place Melbourne
1,118 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Geelong
Geelong
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi

Any exert can advise me?

Thank ou..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

Hi again,

can experts here advise me again before i confirm my hotel bookings? Thanks alot

I have revised a little for my April trip to Melbourne and need your expert advice if I have miss out anything or need some correction.

19 apr: taking 0900hrs flight to Melbourne. Reach melbourne 1915hrs. Most likely stay at Fraser place Melbourne as I gt a gd deal. Is this apartment located at a safe location and have eatries nearby as i intend to book the accomodation without breakfast and where can i have dinner after i check in probably 9pm ish?

20 apr: walk ard Melbourne and visiting shopping malls. Any nice ones to recommend?

21 apr: collect car and start my GOR trip. Stay overnight at Apollo bay

22 apr: move onto port Campbell and visit the 12 apostles. Should I stay overnight at port Campbell? I thought of staying over at Warnambool as I can travel to an extra place and feel accommodations are better here. Will it be better? Please advise.

23 apr: leaving port Campbell or Warnambool and proceed to Geelong and stay overnight. Or should i just proceed to phillip island to stay overnight instead of Geelong?

24 apr: I have plan to drive to Phillip island from Geelong and spend a night there so that I won't need to drive back to Melbourne after watching the penguin parade. And also the next day I can still explore Phillip island before heading back to Melbourne. Will this option be good? Or I drive back to Melbourne on 24 apr then drive to Phillip island on 25 apr and drive back to Melbourne after watching he penguin parade? abit confuse here.

25 - 28 apr: return rented car on 25 evening after coming back from phillip island. walk and shop and eat around Melbourne city. Any place I can visit during my last 4 days at the city? My flight back to Singapore will be 1500hrs 28 apr.

I am a little confuse on 23 apr as to stay over at Geelong after spending the night at port campbell or warnambool. And 24 apr to stay at phillip island or just stay at melbourne and travel down to phillip island to view the penguine parade?

Also will it be worth to visit puffing billy, yarra valley and healsville sactaury?

I will be renting Holden sv6 from Hertz, does this car has iPod input and CD player?

Thanks...

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Fraser Place Melbourne
Fraser Place Melbourne
1,118 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Geelong
Geelong
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Need help to select accommodation and itinerary

You will need to double check that you can return the rental car in the CBD on the 25th as it's a public holiday in Australia, so some offices may be closed.

Unless you specifically want to visit Geelong, returning to Melbourne after the GOR will be fine. You can then do day trips to Phillip Island, Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula etc from your city base. You may have to pay for parking, but the convenience of not changing hotels each night outweighs the cost IMO.

As mentioned, the 25th is Anzac Day in Australia, so most shops will be closed, at least in the morning. The tourist attractions should still be operating, but do check before you finalise your plans. If you will be in the city, be aware that there will be road closures due to a parade.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Geelong
Geelong
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island