We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 posts
Save Topic
From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

I am Cempaka from Indonesia. I'm planning to visit Melbourne from Feb 27th, 2013 to March 2nd, 2013. I would like to ask about public transportation i can take from Melbourne CBD to Maru Animal and Koala Park, and how long it takes? Or maybe there's a link where i can find some information?

Please i really need an answer since i only visit Melbourne for a short time and i really wanna see and take pictures with Koala so badly (it's one of my dreams) or maybe there's another option where i can see a Koala near Melbourne CBD? Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

Maru Animal Park is in Grantville which is about 1 & a half hours drive or so from Melbourne CBD. I have not been there so I cannot comment if it is good.

If you are interested in seeing koalas closer to the CBD, you can try the Melbourne Zoo. It is only about a 10 min tram/train ride from the city and very easy to get too. They also have kangaroos.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

Hello Beechunette,

Below you can read comments from other visitors, some enthusiastic, some not, here on Tripadvisor. Note that this park is not on Phillip Island itself, but nearby. Perhaps you should just wait till you get here, because you can book day trips to the island at the Melbourne Visitor Centre located in Federation Square, easy to find. Just specify that you want a tour that visits Maru as well as other attractions on the island, particularly the nightly penguin parade. You certainly can see koalas and kangaroos at Melbourne Zoo, but you won't be able to be so up-close-and-personal to pat them.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g213598…

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

Hi Peter!

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I was thinking about going to the Melbourne Zoo instead, but when i checked their web, i didn't find KOALA in their "ANIMAL" section so I thought they don't have it in their Zoo. But if you said so, then maybe I'm just gonna go there. Thanks.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

Hi Langy22!

Thank you for the message, I'm gonna check the link you gave me. Maybe i'm just gonna go to the Melbourne Zoo if my schedule is tight. Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

Hi Beech, try the below link for the location of the koala enclosure at the Melb zoo. zoo.org.au/melbourne/plan-your-visit/zoo-map

We went last year but I can't remember the koala enclosure - it could only be one enclosure but I suggest you email the zoo directly to ask.

http://www.zoo.org.au/contact-us

If you really want to see Australian animals in their natural habitat, you may wish to consider Healvesville Sanctuary

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

You could also contact the Moonlit Sanctuary as they do have an option to cuddle a koala. Getting there by public transport isn't an option but they do a city pick up for their night tour (though it isn't cheap). They might also be able to advise you on other options for getting there.

www.pearcedale-conservation-park.com.au/

7. Re: From Melbourne To Maru Animal and Koala Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 04, 2014