We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Topic
Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

As you two have been a great help with my Melbourne planning I would like to buy you a beer when I get to Melbourne. We could all raise a beer to England's great Ashes victory...but then again maybe not.

I am travelling with a friend who is cricket mad and we will be in Melbourne from Saturday 13th May to Thursday 18th May when we depart for Cairns. If you fancy this let me know which dates are best for you and where we should meet. I shall have to let you decide on a suitable venue. We are staying at the Langham hotel so are very central.

Hope we can arrange something but if not then hopefully you might be able to attend a TALF meet when you're next in London.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

Hi aussiejohn....i went to the melb v fremantle game on saturday and nearly froze to death....but it sure was fun watching the demons win....i forgot to wear a pink scarf...expecially after Willino had told me to...

hubby also enjoyed himself, expecially since he is rugby union man...he said "i'll go for Fremantle "......dont you dare !!! so I got him a "go the dees "sign to wave....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

Hi Ellymay

Glad you enjoyed the game and have converted your husband to the Demons cause. Sorry Melbourne didn't put on better weather for you, I think this city used up all its good weather allowance and prayers for The Comm Gammes. It was glorious then but from almost the day after it has become quite chilly & wet. The rains not a bad thing though.

In the end a plumbing disaster in our laundry kept me away from the game(although I had it live on Foxtel). My wife who has only just become interested in footy took the kids, rather than listen to me swearing at the stupid pipes & taps, and they all had a wonderful day. Given that I'm the one who got them all interested if footy & barracking for the Demons, Its just not fair. Moan Over.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

Aussiejohn, did you get the taps fixed.......at least you could still watch it from your WARM lounge room....my feet were totally frozen when I returned back to the hotel...needless to say, we opted to eat inside the hotel....whats the point going out again....BRR!!

I think the Lions King play attracts such a much interest as the football....it was so crowded with a full house every night....hotel was next door to the threatre.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

Go the mighty Dees,4 in a row now and we should win against the Hawks Friday night.

If we can beat Spida,Mitch and Hodge we'll win.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

Hey you guys, how did the catch up go....?? Don't worry about me Mick, we are hardy football supporters here in Melbourne and I am hopeful Essendon can still do well this season. Glad you enjoyed the game, would love to hear more of your thoughts on the game and the venue.

AJ, I have been catching up on correspondance on TA since getting back, can't see any chit chat between you and Ausmum, thought she may have contacted you to discuss the Freo game :-)).

AJ and EM, Tathra was sensational, I will have to write a report up soon. First day there, we went out surfing and I aged a couple of years when I saw a couple of fins 30 metres away. Turned out to be a pod of dolphins enjoying the fish feast near the rocks. They ended up clowning around just 5 metres from where we were sitting waiting for waves...how cool.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

Hi Willini, did you get to see Tilba Tilba...? I know about the dolphins and what a great experience for you...I don't think I would have waited to see if they were dolphins....I would have been in shore and breaking a world record, if I saw a fin !!

Tilba Tilba is also a great place to view Whales......hubby family has a farm there with an observatory tower...and its awesome to watch the whales coming up the coast.

I forgot to wear my pink scarf on the Saturday match !! It was a good game and I think the Dees will go a long way....hopefully to the finals.....

Be good to read yout trip report !! We had a fab few days in Melbourne but it sure was chilly.....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

HI Will

All quite on the western front. Ausmum is obviously keeping her head down until Freo' next win.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Tathra. We've just booked to go to Narooma again this Christmas so might look at a day trip to Tathra, look forward to dearing your review.

I caught up with Mick & his mate des at Y & J's on Wednesday night. Two nice blokes who are enjoying their trip & seemed to have really enjoyer the footy. They were both really interested in sports so we spent quite a few hours discussing every sport imaginable and of course the upcoming Ashes Tout and travel.

They insisted on drinking pints only and we went at least 3 rounds so it was quite a big drink in the end. Eventually we left Y&Js as it got really packed when the big fight was getting near. Headed off to another pub & then I took my leave and jumped on the train home. I suspect they were going to keep going but I had to work the next day. Bit unclear on all of the details after about the 7th pint.

18. Re: Message for AussieJohn and Willnino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 13, 2009