We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

melbourne to sydney

Baghdad, Iraq
7 posts
Save Topic
melbourne to sydney

im planning on taking a trip from Melbourne to Sydney in a few days. I want to use the train. You just take a couple of days and see some things in between. Any attractions or things I should see between Melbourne and Sydney?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: melbourne to sydney

imo there is nowhere really worth stopping on the train trip except for canberra.

easy to spend a couple of days there.

u will need to catch a bus from yass station to the capital and back again or get a separate train from canberra to sydney.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: melbourne to sydney

In addition, the train is not a hop-on-hop-off service so you would need to purchase tickets between each two destinations. Given the cheap price of air fares between these two cities, you will end up paying a lot more for train tickets than the cost of flying.

Canberra is a good idea, but it's just as easy to hop on a bus in Sydney and head down there for a couple of days.

Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: melbourne to sydney

I agree with both previous posts. Fly from Melbourne to Sydney and then if you want to visit Canberra, catch a bus or train from Sydney. As Eva said, the train is not a hop on hop off train and the cost would be considerably more than a single trip.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Canberra
Canberra
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: melbourne to sydney

The day train between Sydney & Melbourne is a good trip. If you want to stopover you will need separate tickets and reservations for each sector.

I cannot recommend any of the rural towns for stopovers unless you have a special interest. You can get a good idea of the country on the journey.

I did a return trip last week, and very enjoyable it was too. We ran so early in some sectors that we were allowed off of the train and onto the station platforms at several stops.

You can do a Canberra stopover easily. It is included in the booking procedure.

www.countrylink.info

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: melbourne to sydney

I too enjoyed the train ride between Sydney and Melbourne.

Always crazy to go all the way to Oz, have a chance to see some of it at ground level, but then fly over it at 35,000 feet. I always like to know what lies between the cities, the suburbs, the countryside, Australia as it really is, not just see the tourist attractions in the cities and the inside of a plane in between.

Plus I tend to wear my feet out seeing everything in the cities and I actually quite like having an occasional day with my feet up on a train, a glass of wine, watching the scenery come to me. Plus it avoids the stress of modern airports and the fuss over bag sizes, bag weights, liquids, metal objects and goodness knows what, all for a simple journey of a few hundred miles. The long long flight to and from Oz gives me all of that I'll ever feel I need...

We went one way by day train, the other time-effectively in a sleeping-car.

Book the train at www.countrylink.info although if you want an overnight sleeper you'll have to book by calling them.

Edited: 7:16 am, December 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
6. Re: melbourne to sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 18, 2013