We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended stay

Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Extended stay

I will hopefully be coming to Melbourne for 3 months next year (jan to end of mar) staying in a apartment in Richmond, I need some advice on the best places to go for the first few days to acclimatise and get a feel for the area (especially as I'm coming from a uk winter)

Great Ocean Road Small-Group Eco-Tour...
1,259 reviews
from $105.22*
Special Offer
Phillip Island Tour from Melbourne
559 reviews
from $66.77*
$133.54
Special Offer
Yarra Valley, Puffing Billy Steam...
270 reviews
from $68.39*
$136.78
Special Offer
Melbourne Super Saver: Great Ocean...
117 reviews
from $217.72*
$262.23
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended stay

Richmond is in an excellent location, just 2 kms from the city center and with shopping, restaurants and public transport at your front door. You wont have to go too far without experiencing what the area holds. There is a heavy Asian influence in Richmond, especially around the Bridge Road area.

Do you like cricket? The MCG is located nearby. As for the weather, generally January can be very hot. So expect anything from 20 - 40 degrees!!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended stay

If you are looking for hotel recommendations in the area, have a look at the Amora. It's on Bridge Road, Richmond, so close to restaurants. There's a tram stop at the front door to the city and it's right on the river. The Bridge Hotel across the road isn't a bad place to have a quiet drink either. There's also a lovely walk along the river bank that passes right by the hotel. It goes all the way into the city. Very popular with cyclists. If my memory serves me correctly, the Amora provides bikes for guests

Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended stay

That's a great response, thank you. I'm looking forward to my first trip down under so any personal recommendations of things to see or do will be great

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended stay

To get yourself familiar with Melbourne, in the first few days spend a day on the Melbourne Tourist Shuttle. It is a free hop on/hop off bus service that takes you to all Melbourne's top tourist attractions. It is a great way to start getting your bearings of what is located where and to start seeing some of the sites. You can find more details on this service on www.thatsmelbourne.com.au.

Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extended stay

That's a great idea, I'm hoping to arrive before the weekend so I get time to look around, the bus tour would be perfect

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extended stay

Do they have those bikes you can borrow in Richmond?

7. Re: Extended stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, December 17, 2013