We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping!!

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping!!

Hi all.

I wi be heading over to Melbourne for 6 days next week. I've been before so I know my way around fairly well. Just wanting to know of shopping spots, like little hidden gems, that I should have a look at.

I will be staying with family near sandringham, looking for shopping in the city, and along the train line, such as Brighton and st. Kilda

Any suggestions are appreciated:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping!!

Depends on what sort of shops/style/budget you are interested in eg boutiques, retro, designer labels, etc.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping!!

Places to try:

Chadstone: Huge mall. Mainly clothes. Not far from Sandringham but will be getting v busy as Xmas approaches. I hate it and always manage to lose my car in the massive car park but millions go there every year so it's got more than a little in the way of appeal.

Brunswick St Fitzroy: Funky. Small one off designer shops. Lots of retro/recycled shops.

Chapel St: Designer labels, beautiful people. The Prahran end of Chapel St (south of Commercial Rd) is more interesting.

Lygon St: Better known for eating, but loads of nice shops with some you may not see in the West.

Sydney Rd Brunswick: A mecca for recycled clothes shops. If you are into 2nd hand bargains, you MUST visit Savers.

South Melbourne Markets area: As well as the markets, there are lots of interesting little shops tucked away here. Clarendon St has some nice stuff.

In The City: Have a look in QV at the top of Lonsdale St and the GPO next to Myers in Bourke St. Also check out Flinders Lane - lots of quirky designer shops there.

Places I hate and think you should stay away from:

DFO (you can buy cheaper in stores most of the time)

Swan St or Bridge Rd 'Factory Outlets'. The factories have been in China for years and these outlets just get rid of old stock at relatively high prices.

Myers/David Jones. You have them in Perth and they have the same stock.

Have fun and do good retail therapy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping!!

Hi,

Another vote for Chapel Street / Brunswick St Fitzroy. I also like the walking around the city too as there are some very interesting shops in the arcades etc.

I went to Chadstone the last time I was in Melbourne & thought it was okay nothing really to write home about; but that's just my opinion as I'm not into Mall shopping so others probably like it.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping!!

Check out a store called 'Design a Space'. They have some really cool clothes and accessories.

Also take a look down degraves at the vintage stores. There are a few really cool ones.

us
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping!!

Just got back 2 days and had a great time.

I found Brunswick, Gertrude, and Smith Street all have some fun and funky shops. I think the area is called Fitzroy/Collingwood.

Also, I now know why Melbournians are such coffee snobs--your coffee rocks! I also had a short stay in Auckland and their coffee is equally as amazing.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping!!

nydreamin - totally agree, us Melbournians are ridiculous coffee snobs. There was long discussion recently going on about coffee on Trip Advisor. If it's to do with coffee or food, we think we know it all.

So glad to hear that you had a good time in Oz.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,923 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping!!

If you're there on Dec 8 I found a funky little market on my last trip to Melbourne, lots of cool handmade jewellery and clothes:

http://www.facebook.com/Southsidehandmade

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping!!

Great suggestion about Southside, it's a fantastic little market with both hand made & vintage goods. It's in St Kilda (Acland St), so it's easy to get to on public transport

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping!!

Loving the look of those markets!! Thanks everyone, really looking forward to my retail therapy next week:)

10. Re: Shopping!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, December 16, 2013