We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health Insurance

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Health Insurance

Yes, its me again....

My husband's company gave us the information from Australian Unity to cover our family while we're in Australia. Altho we'll be there for 4 years, we'll still be considered temporary residents. It's 2,200 a year for family. Is that average? I also notice that it does not cover outpatient. Are that companies that cover outpatient?

Any other healthcare insurance companies to recommend?

Thanks & have a great day ahead!

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health Insurance

Private healthcare can be expensive. Always check you will need "all the extra's" as these can add to the expense. Other companys in Victoria are:

Medibank Private: www.medibank.com.au

HBA:www.hba.com.au

These two are the biggest. There are smaller operators that have a token presence in Victoria but are larger in other states but having only one or two branches may make claiming more difficult.

Not sure of the Outpatient situation as being citizens/residents we are covered for a lot of that by our national insurance scheme- Medicare.

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health Insurance

you should be able to obtain Medibank as a temporary resident, so please look at thier website or call and make the enquiry.

The above mentioned healthcare providers are the most popular/biggest, like the other poster mentioned, make sure you choose a policy that is suitable for your family i.e you may not need extras cover etc etc

You can call these companies who have trained operators to assist you, they ask you questions etc and can help you make the right decision.

I would suggest perhaps buying a phone card so ophone costs wont be an issue.

I believe our health cover is expensive, but it is possible to get value for money if you research the options

cheers

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health Insurance

hi,

MBF are really good to me.

I have had 16 operations and am a family of 4. 2 adults 2 teenagers.

we have top level hospital and top level extras, with no excess if go in hospital, for $95 per fortnight, inclusive of government rebate.

never had a problem.

try them www.mbf.com.au

have been with for 10 years, and have been with Aus Unity and HBA and Medibank Private, found MBF the best!!!

Queensland based, and they are a not for profit organisation.

good luck.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health Insurance

Hi

In regards to private health insurance I don't really agree with the others. Sure Medibank & HBA are the largest as is Aust. Unity but they are also the most expensive. Have a look at Latrobe Health Services, based in Victoria with an office in the CBD and claims can be made either direct with the health service provider through a swipe card or at 100's of Pharmacies around Melbourne and the rest of the state. Because they don't have the same overheads as the bigger Insurers you save dollars. You can also save further by agreeing to pay an excess for any hospital visits up to anset level of say $150.00 or $250.00 per visit. Makes a big difference to the anual premium. Many of the other smaller or interstate based insurance companies have similar services available as well. Checkout out www.latrobehealth.com.au

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health Insurance

arggh please no health care debate! Mamapea, I did forget to mention that you should check with your company or by calling the heath care provider to see if you do get a special discount as some companies have negotaited excellent rates with specific providers.

Im with HBA and with my company discount find it to be very competitive, but as the above poster explained perhaps by looking at the smaller providers you may indeed get a better deal.

Best tip is to research as every family has different needs.

cheers

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health Insurance

Mamapea, do you know that you don't need health insurance? There is a very adequate public health service here, Medicare which will provide free treatment to you. Your only compromise would be longer waiting times SOMETIMES if you needed surgery. We don't have any health insurance firstly because I do not agree with private health insurance (despite the G'ment penalising us in our tax return) and secondly because the public system has been more than adequate for us in our four years back in Australia. My husband had surgery on his knee 18 months ago and was referred to a private orthopaedic surgeon who bulk billed Medicare for appointments (so we were charged NOTHING). He could do the op (to repair ligament tears) two weeks later - we asked if that was public or private and he said either... the list is just as long so I don't see why you should have to pay to have private surgery. So he booked my husband in as a public patient, he had surgery two weeks later and we didn't pay a cent. This was in a city of 90,000 people and I only know of two orthopaedic surgeons there so it's not as if they are over-represented.

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Health Insurance

Thanks for all that info. I'll contact the agencies & do a comparison.

btw, it is a prerequisite of our visa to take private health insurance.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Health Insurance

Yes , our national government coverage is a very good system- much better than some people complain about. I had a similar situation and got imediate access to an operation although techniqually it wasnt urgent. At no cost-.

However, the OP is going to be a temporary resident and I am sure (this is an assumption) that Medicare does not cover them for anything except an emergency (car accident etc).

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health Insurance

yep you will have to take out insurance!!!