We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Hi! My friend and I are interested to do the Great Ocean Road tour for one day but have to be back in CBD, Melbourne at 6pm. All the tours we saw online leave the City at 8am, back at 7:30pm - 9:30pm. That is late for us as we have dinner reservations (which we can not change) at 7pm.

Would you have any suggestions for us on how we should go about it? We asked for a private tour from a popular tour company but it's too expensive at almost AUD700 for 2 adults.

Hoping for some advice. Thanks in advance! :)

Escape Discovery Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
The Little Penguin Bus
Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Melbourne Boutique Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Wild Wombat Escapes Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Maybe hire a car and drive yourself? Perhaps just aim to make it as far as Apollo Bay for a relaxed drive with plenty of time for stops.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,061 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Of the variables, dinner and budget tend to be more flexible than geography. The Apostles rock formations are at the far end of the GOR and if you want to see those AND be back early I suppose you could pay a lot for someone to drive you straight there and back, or I remember there used to be scenic flights from Melbourne which you could google. A safe enjoyable drive along the GOR takes as much time as it takes, the best options are a coach tour if you only have one day so you can relax and enjoy while an experienced local takes care of the navigating and scheduling, or if you have longer then you can take the time to drive yourself. If you have less than a day you don't really have great options, the scenic flight would be my pick but of course you miss out on the walking around. Or you can just drive part way. Have you looked at a map?

Can you do it on a different day? How many days are you in Melbourne for? What are your other priorities?

Edited: 11:42 pm, October 23, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Take a helicopter charter

http://heliadventures.net.au/scenic.html

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

If you want to go all the way to the 12 apostles and you don't want to spend a lot of money, as I see it, you have limited choices:

1. Take the train to Warrnambool the night before, stay overnight then rent a car the next morning and drive back to Melbourne along the GOR.

2. Get a car in Melbourne, leave VERY early in the morning (about 6 am) and self drive. I wouldn't reccommend this option as you will be too tired to enjoy dinner when you get back.

3. Swap your schedule round do that dinner and the GOR are in different days.

4. Just do part of the GOR as already suggested and leave out the 12 Apostles.

5. Cancel either dinner or the GOR trip.

If you think $700 is expensive for a driver then the cost of the helicopter ride will make your eyes water.

Just to get you in the ballpark, for 2 passengers they charge nearly $600 for a 30 minute flight around Melbourne !!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

This heli charter company takes off from near my home and has its proces on its website (unlike the first one I posted which requires getting a quote).

www.microflite.com.au/?page=excursions&id=5

Yes its pricey - as with any chopper tour - but its an amazing way to see the views.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and comments here. They are truly helpful. We appreciate the time & effort you have given for this. Will check out everything mentioned. :)

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

You can't do the GOR without seeing the 12 Apostles - they are simply beautiful. To me its like going to Sydney and not seeing the Harbour Bridge or the Opera House.

We are driving it this time so we can appreciate the GOR better than what the tour company we used the last time did!

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Thank you for the tip, ne_quine. We have decided to do GOR next time when we have more time. It would be a waste not to enjoy it fully, to be running around and catching time, in the end being stressed out. :)

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Personally I'd cancel the dinner! ;)

Gives you something to look forward to, just like I am.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,093 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GOR Tour, back in CBD Melbourne at 6pm. - advice?

Yes, cancel the dinner.

You can always have fast food or go for a light meal at numerous cafes upon your return.

It's far more beautiful to see the Great Ocean Road including the remaining of the original 12 Apostles than enjoy a restaurant meal in my humble opinion.