We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

Perth, Western...
10 posts
Save Topic
Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

Hi, I am surprising my hubby with tickets to the Boxing Day Test.

Having not been to the MCG or even Melbourne for that matter, I was after a bit of guidance please.

Would hubby be happy with tickets to the first 3 days? ( can't really ask him)

Can get seats in block M28, row BB ( this is the family zone as the kids will be coming along too) will we get a good view with no obstructions from these seats?

I have book a hotel on Southbank, will travel to the MCG be easy enough from here?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

Yep well and truly walkable from Southbank

Can't help with the seat locations or whether hubby will like the first 3 days (I don;t even know who they are playing.....could it be over in 3 days?

However resident sports fanatic said those seats are good indeed

Edited: 2:59 am, October 07, 2012
Perth, Western...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

They are playing Sri Lanka, quite possible for it to only last 3 days.

I thought I could buy 3 days in advance and then can always buy day 4 and 5 if play is still going. Want to be assured of tickets to at least 3 days as we will be travelling from Perth.

Hopefully they allow pass outs so my daughter and I can pop out for a spot of shopping if play gets a bit boring. Lol

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

BB is 28 does from the front. Will be undercover.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

You can get pass outs easily.

M28 is on the south western side of the ground, so you maybe be able to avoid the worst of the afternoon sun. However you should be able to get better seats in the family reserve section. Try for blocks M33 or M34 or as close to those as possible. If you are trying to buy over the net, the tickets generally just get sold in numerical order eg. M28 through to M36. However if you do it over the phone or in person you can ask for whatever seat you like so try that way.

Not expecting the biggest crowds as it is only vs Sri Lanka. So apart from day 1 you should have no trouble just walking up and getting good tickets on the day. So certainly dont book anything beyond day 3.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

I can't tell you anything about the cricket but I can warn you about the shopping.

Boxing Day is when the after Xmas sales start and the city is a zoo for the first few days. IMO the worst possible days for shopping, but judging by the crowds I'm in a minority of one with that view😃

Just be prepared for VERY long queues at the change rooms of you are buying clothes and even longer queues at the cash registers.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

Do you follow the AFL? M28 is in the forward pocket on the lower level, so for cricket, I think the position would be quite good. Row BB is under cover, but I suspect you may get some morning sun, so make sure you bring a hat and sunscreen.

The MCG does allow for pass outs. You will need to scan your ticket out and scan it again when re-entering the ground.

If your husband and children love cricket (in deed most sports), have you also thought about visiting the National Sports Museum, also located at the MCG?

mcg.org.au/History/…20Museum.aspx

Perth, Western...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

Mmm long queues will probably not go down too well with a 10yr old girl, thanks for the tip 👍

I was thinking of booking the MCG tour and sports museum, I think the whole family would enjoy both. 😃

Edited: 10:43 pm, October 07, 2012
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

Both tours are well worth doing. I highly recommend them.

Victoria
Level Contributor
13 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

Look, not being a cricket freak and thinking of your kids can I also recommend something if you are staying a bit AFTER the test? I thoroughly recommend Melbourne Zoo, and if u can afford it, the Roar n Snore night in a tent with wonderful food and behind the scenes tours including FEEDING the giraffes, seeing nocturnal animals (and a rare Tapir that is NOT seen during the day - it is part Albino), AND learning a LOT about all the animals. I am on a pension and took my daughter and let me tell you, for the price it was sensational. You arrive at 6.30 pm, have an intro meal of dips and breads, and drinks, pick your tent, set up your tent (sleeping bags/blanket and pillows needed or similar) (I even took my CPAP machine), then have dinner (amazing, salmon steaks, red meat steaks, chicken burgers, salads etc) then have a guided night tour seeing nocturnal animals and feeding same (some of the kids are chosen to carry the food buckets), then in the a.m. breakfast (cooked by the zoo's own bakery) including cereals, buns, different breads, yogurt and fresh fruits, and then an early morning tour of the zoo (when u feed the giraffes, watch the penguins get fed and learn how/why they are fed a certain way) and THEN u can spend a whole day there at the zoo as a member of the roar n snore group with 20% off most animal encounters and 10% off at the gift shops. You WILL get to see the koalas and TOUCH the wallabies/roos, including one with a baby in pouch if you are going soon (we went last weekend, 6&7 October). Alternatively you can simply go to the zoo and have some one one one encounters with the animals. The zoo is very very humane, has a fantastic rep and great environment for each animal group, AND never ever feeds live animals to any creature, all mice etc are killed humanely (gassed) etc. I loved it, and I could afford it, a big plus for this single mum - and also, it's pretty flat, so not a lot of up hills etc. Enjoy!

10. Re: Boxing Day Test @ the MCG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 14, 2013