We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne airport

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne airport

My friend and I arrive in Melb at 1030 at night and leave about 6 am. What can we do without spending too much money in that time? would a hotel be worth getting and could we walk there?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne airport

Cheapest hotel, which is within walking distance, is the Ibis Budget (used to be Formule1) at the airport. It's very basic - expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. Not even lifts. But cheap.

accorhotels.mobi/gb/…index.shtml

Usually I'd suggest just going and staying in the city but for a 6 am departure (an even earlier check in) an airport hotel is your best bet.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne airport

There isn't much you could do except maybe experience Melbourne's amazing nightlife (trust me!) or stay at a hostel central to the city for the night. The airport is maybe a 20-30 minute drive from the CBD, so really there isn't anything I recommend except going out clubbing.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne airport

Thankyou

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne airport

Your hotel choices are Ibis (cheapest), Holiday Inn and Park Royal - all walking distance. Ciloms Airport lodge is nearby and they offer a shuttle bus.

If you choose to go clubbing in inner Melbourne instead of sleeping, you might like to make the most of the shower facilities in the terminal afterwards to freshen up before your flight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne airport

Hi,

I would suggest the Holiday Inn or Parkroyal Hotel. Both are located at the airport. You can walk to the Parkroyal via the pedestrian bridge in front of the terminal. To get to the Holiday Inn, you simply walk through the multistorey carpark and cross the road. No need to wait for the shuttle unless you have a lot of luggage.

I know the Formulae 1 is nearby, which is a very basic budget hotel. My personal recommendation would be to pay an extra $50-$60 for the Parkroyal/Holiday Inn and spend the night in a proper bed with a great showers!

Both the Parkroyal and Holiday Inn have a bar/dining area located near the main lobby.

Enjoy your overnight stay!

Edited: 1:09 am, October 11, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne airport

It will cost you one way from the airport to the CBD at least $40 -$45 one way by taxi..

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne airport

At a typical $138 on www.wotif.com, Cilom's Airport Lodge with its free shuttle for the minimal distance is a better option than the prison like Ibis Budget 'hotels' that used to be Formule 1.

The Parkroyal may well be $250 depending on what night of the week. There's also the Mantra that may be cheaper than Parkroyal but dearer than Cilom's or Ibis Budget.

It's not worth going into the city by Skybus ($28 return) unless all you want to do is party in which case you will be trying to sleep on next morng's flight.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne airport

I have stayed at Ciloms a couple of times. Little old fashioned but quiet cheap and comfy. Good food too.

9. Re: Melbourne airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 14, 2013