We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Luton
8 posts
Save Topic
Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

I am planning on taking a four day train trip from Melbounre to Sydney with friends and was wondering if there is a flexible train ticket we can buy?

I also wanted to know if anyone had any advice on some good places to stop off on the journey?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Hi, Warren E, Greetings from an expat Lutonian.

There's only one train line direct from Sydney to Melbourne. The CountryLink trains run twice a day leaving about 7am/7pm, depending if you want an overnight or not. It's 11 hours journey time. South of the border at Albury/Wodonga there's not a lot of places to stop of any interest, mostly smallish regional towns with limited appeal depending on your interests. One way tickets are about $110 and do not allow breaks in the journey.

One of the NSW people will help you more with the North, but you could travel to Canberra or the Snowy Mountains region with interconnecting coach transfers. http://www.vline.com.au/home/ or http://www.countrylink.info/home are the two train companies.

Most of the rail passes available online are more for the Great Train Journeys like the Ghan, Overlander or Indian Pacific.

Train travel is not particularly cheap or time effective here.

Cheers,

Fay

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Do not use British or European trains as a standard by which to measure Australian country trains.

Ours are expensive, uncomfortable and slow.

For four of you for 4 days I would suggest either fly and spend the extra time

In and around Sydney or Melbourne or rent a car and spend the 4 days on a leisurely drive around the coastal route taking in some of the small beachside towns and perhaps coming through the Snowy Mountains on the way to Sydney.

As Unclefey states - there's not a whole lot of interest between Sydney and Melboure. The train doesn't even pass through our capital city of

Canberra. But if you drive you will be able to stop off for a visit.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

the stops in NSW are

Albury, Culcairn, Henty, The Rock, Wagga Wagga, Junee, Cootamundra Harden, Yass Junction, Gunning, Goulburn, Moss Vale.

none of these apart from Yass where u can connect by bus the Canberra has any real tourism appeal.

DRIVE!!!!!!

spend time in rutherglen/king valley/beechworth, canberra and cross thru the lower snowys via cooma to the coast at bega and get to sydney that way via batemans bay and jervis bay.

Luton
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Thanks, sounds like sound advice!

Best wishes

Warren

Luton
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Thanks Fay, looks like car hire is the best bet of fly and spend the time in Sydney.

Funny you coming from Luton like us!

Take care!

Luton
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Thanks, I appreciate your advice!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

The last time we were in Australia we drove from Melbourne to Sydney and broke the journey up by having an overnighter in Canberra and doing some activities there before drivng onto Sydney.

It was a very easy drive - boredom is the thing to watch out for! IIRC it took about 8 hours (with 3 stops for food/petrol) to get to Canberra then about 2-3 hours to get to downtown Sydney where our hotel was.

The most stressful part of the whole journey was taking the car back from the hotel to the hire car centre!

Luton
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Thanks definately sold ande hire car option, ny ida of hire ar costs and the best companies to use?

Regards

Warren

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

We used Hertz that time as the deal I got thanks to my brother didn't have a one way fee.

I've got a hire car booked for NZ in July and again through him I have a one way fee of NZ$130 when we go from Auckland to Wellington - compared to some companies who wanted over NZ$250!!!!

I have one booked via Argus car hire for when we do the GOR in July and its East Coast Rentals that the actual hire car is from. As we're returning it to them, no one way fee this time.

Edited: 3:27 pm, October 03, 2012
Luton
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train journey from Melbourne to Sydney

Sounds great, we are going onto NZ later in the trip to see friends they have mad some recommendations.

Any ideas about good places to stay in Bali? We are also trying to find cheap flights next July but strggling at the moment!