We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

I plan to drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide via route A or B on 10 Oct 2012

Route A - Leaving Halls Gap by noon to Penola via Dunkeld, stay one night at Penola. Next day continue driving to Adelaide.

Route B - Leaving Halls Gap by 8.00 m and drive all the way to Adelaide in one day.

Any advice on the traveling hours and good scenic spots for short rest point on the way?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

You have picked possibly the least intersting part of the country to drive through, however, for what its worth here are my thoughts.

Route A - Halls Gap to Penola wont tax you very much in driving, its a relatively short drive, a few hours, but the road may not be the best, its a while since I drove that area. From Penola to Adelaide is a longer day, last time I went that way the road was good, and on the way you can take a look at Kingston, the Coorong and Victor Harbour.

I am curious why you chose that particular route, if it was me I would leave earlier and head to Mt Gambier for the over night stop.

Route B - Direct to Adelaide will take you between 5 and 6 hours, its about 500 km, but there is an aweful lot of not much to see on that road. The road will be better as its the main highway, but you will get more heavy transport even in the day time, but there isnt much to take the attention until probably Murray Bridge.

It really depends what you want to do and see on the way, and how long you want to take to get to Adelaide.

I note also that you're from Singapore, I assume a Singaporean. One word of advice, the country roads here will be far different from the smooth streets of the city there.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

How is the traffic situation? You mentioned that there will be more heavy transport in the day on this Wester Hwy! Will I need more time to travel on this route ?

You suggested to head to Mt Gambier for over night stay instead of Penola. There after, which route shall I take to Adelaide?.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

There are two routes to get to Mt Gambier after Dunkeld either via C216 and Glenelg Hwy/B160, or C216 and A1/Princes Hwy (via Hamilton/Heywood). Which is easier to drive?

After Mt Grambier, is the traffic condition better than using Western Hwy - less heavy transport?

Yes, this is my first time driving on Australia Road. My previous experience was in NZ, no much vehicles on the road in NZ.

Any advice to drive at this part of Australia?

It is ok to drive at speed of 100~ 120 km/h ?

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

Thanks for your recommendation to stay ay Gambier instead of Penola. I think it is a go idea. I survey the route and the road condition via Hamilton looks better.

I plan to spend a bit more time in the morning at Halls Gap before setting out to Gambier at noon. Do I have enough time to reach Gambier by 6 pm?

What are the good stop point along the way ?

Bay

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

You need to drive to road conditions.

I think the top speed limit in most places is 110kph. On anything other than main roads you won't be able to drive that fast. Speeding will attract the attention of the cops.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

Most sections of the Western Highway are 100km/h except through townships. The highway is overpoliced in my opinion, the country town police get bored so sit on the highway catching speeding drivers. You should be fine travelling at up to 5km/h over the speed limit, bear in mind that your car speedo will show a higher speed than you are actually doing so use GPS to measure your speed if you have one or can be bothered.

The Western Highway, although the major national highway between 2 capital cities, is a bit of a joke. It is one lane each way for much of the distance, therefore you must really be aware and courteous. It carries a lot of truck traffic, and most of the trucks travel at a true 99-103km/h as their speeds are governed. So if you are being overtaken by a truck, let them pass and do not speed up. Likewise do not slow down unpredictably if you see a truck catching up to you from behind!

Also be alert to kangaroos possibly jumping in front of you, mainly around dusk & dawn.

It is probably the easiest way to get to Adelaide, but indeed maybe you could go through Dunkeld or Mount Gambier, or find a way to visit the Naracoorte caves on your way.

Drive safely and enjoy!

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

Hi, Bay2012,

It's only a three hour drive from Halls Gap to Mount Gambier on the B160. There are a couple of small towns, Casterton and Coleraine you can stop and look at, besides Hamilton. Hamilton has a nice botanic Gardens. The area is undulating farm land with forested areas as you get closer to Mt Gambier.

I wouldn't bother driving down to Heywood and then back up to Mt Gambier.

Not much to see or do in Heywood.

The speed limits in the area will be 100 km/hour. There are no Freeways in the district which are the only roads allowing an 110 km/hr limit. As Margo-Oz says, drive to the road conditions. You could not drive from Halls Gap to Dunkeld at 100km/hr for instance.

The traffic is quite light in the region. Yes, there might be a truck or two or even slow moving farm machinery. Just be patient and choose your overtaking points carefully.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

"The highway is overpoliced in my opinion, the country town police get bored so sit on the highway catching speeding drivers. "

A speeding driver is someone who is breaking the law. A policeman is someone who upholds the law. Nice to see the former furnishing the latter with something to do in their "bored" moments while at the same time encompassing their job description.

Bay2012, we have the same international speed signs here in Australia as you do in Singapore. Obey the signs and you will be fine.

:)

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

Robol

Thanks for your advice on traffic condition at Western Hwy. Looks like I am going to give it a miss. I am planning to go to Mount Gambier for one night stay before heading to Adelaide via Penola.

It will be bored to drive at a speed below 100 km/h!

One way to avoid speeding fine is to follow one truck at a safe distance since their speeds is governed and the truck driver shall be familiar with the speed trap locations. Is it a good idea ?

In Singapore, it is the car drivers over taking heavy trucks on the road!

Bay

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First time drive from Halls Gap to Adelaide

Hi Unclefey

How is the road condition of B140 from Dunkeld to Hamilton?

I am afraid that I might have a tendency to press harder on the pedal when the road is straight and empty !

I might need to plan more time for traveling from point A to B.

Bay