We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YHA Metro to St Kilda

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
YHA Metro to St Kilda

We have to go from YHA Metro to St, Kilda in November but want to know if we can do it on the tram with a suitcase each or will we be a pain to other travellers.

Never travelled on it so don't know what to expect - this time a bit dollar short - last time a taxi - but we love Australia but have to economise a bit this year.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

What time of day? Avoid peak hours at all cost.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

Wow what a quick repy.

We can check out up to 11am and where we are going we can check in at any time.

Not bothered about the check out/in etc but want to know mostly if it would be ok to take our cases on the tram and what would be the best time to travel with suitcases.

Where we live in UK a suitcase on a tram would be a pain in the bum as there is not much storage space so wondered if we could take it on the tram in melbourne and not cause problems with other travellers.

What are peak hours - morning and evening people going to work?

Thank you for you quick reply - will ask you other questions later - we are in Melbourne this year for Christmas and New Year instead of expensive Sydney - was advised to do this by some people we met in Vietnam last year - said Melbourne was the best so we are going to put you to the test::-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

Ah well, if you are catching the tram between the 25th Dec and 1st Jan it will be much quieter with most city businesses shut over that period. I'm not overly familiar with that tram route but I'd hazard a guess and say you'll be ok. There will be shoppers out and about though but the peak hours (yes, to and from work people) won't apply.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

The problem could be that to get from North Melbourne to St Kilda you will need to change trams.

St Kilda is a big suburb and the right tram depends on where in St Kilda you are going to.

If you travel in the middle of the day you won't have any problems but avoid morning or afternoon peak periods with suitcases.

For the time being you can still buy Metcards on the trams but they are being replaced by Myki.

Remember that the onboard ticket machines only take change, not notes.

Use this website to figure out which trams to take by entering your destination address.

jp.ptv.vic.gov.au/ptv/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

Edited: 6:50 pm, September 23, 2012
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

As BB has said, that is a good time to travel on public transport because most people will be on holidays.

What part of St Kilda are you going to? St Kilda is a large suburb and there are a number of trams tram routes that go there.

But as a general rule, peak hours for public transport would be approximately 7.30 - 9 am and 4 - 6.30 pm.

…vic.gov.au/maps-stations-stops/…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

Why would most people be in holidays in November?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

Eva, on the ops second post they say they are here for the Christmas and New Year period.

Jeera27, just when are you travelling to St Kilda? Reading your posts I'm assuming you arrive in November and then go to St Kilda some time later.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

Yes I see that. I interpreted the post as the OP needing info about tram travel info from North Melb to StK in November.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

Always best not to confuse people by not reading all the replies before posting your own.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: YHA Metro to St Kilda

Yes, BB I completely agree with you.

The OP clearly states that they need to go from YHA in North Melbourne to St Kilda in November and asks about the trams at that time.

Telling them that most people are on holidays and therefore the trams won't be busy over the Xmas/New year period could indeed be confusing.