We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Trip

Perth, Western...
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving Trip

Hi, we are heading over to Melbourne in a few weeks and have hired a car for 3 days.

I was after some suggestions for an itinerary for that time?

there are 6 adults all together.

Any help would be great!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Trip

Do you want to do day trips out of the city or a mini road trip?

Do you have specific interests, ie. food & wine, historical sites, scenic drives, bushwalking, coastal drive?

Have a look on www.visitvictoria.com.au for more info about the specific regions. If it was me, I'd focus on an area, ie Great Ocean Road OR the Goldfields OR the Yarra Valley OR Gippsland.

Once you have worked out what area interests you, come back to us for more help with putting your itinerary together.

Perth, Western...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Trip

well we were thinking just 3 different day trips to go see a little of everything..

for example 1 day out to see the a little of great ocean road

1 day for yarra valley and dandenongs and 1 day for mornington peninsula.

Do you think that is doable?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Trip

While it's doable, it won't be easy. If you want to do GOR in one day, you will have to start early and finish late. You don't want to rush on a very winding coastal road, first of all it's not safe and second, you want to see things, not just wizz past them... If you will be returning back in the evening, I would just take an inland route (via Colac). Nothing really to see there, just a regular highway, but you can safely do a 100 there and get back to Melbourne quicker.

Mornington Peninsula is doable in a day, depending on how many wineries you want to visit and how long you will linger at each... And whether you will treat yourselves to a soak at Peninsula Hot Springs...

Yarra Valley is also doable in a day, it is again about wineries, gourmet food... Depending on when you are coming you may catch famous farmers market at Yering Station... It's on once a month, just Google "farmers markets Victoria"; I think whitehat website has a very comprehensive list of markets...

You are consigning yourselves to a lot of driving... Mind you, with 6 adults (i presume, all with a licence) you should pull it off...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Trip

You can do the Mornington Peninsula, then cross from Sorrento to Queenscliff on the ferry and start your Great Ocean Road trip from there. Would need to stay overnight somewhere, either in or near Sorrento, or in or near Queenscliff. This would save quite a bit of driving, and the ferry crossing is quite pleasant (takes about an hour all up).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Trip

Just with taking the ferry from Queenscliff, you need to check the T&C's of the car rental company as some of them specify that you can't take rental cars on the ferry. It's similar to the clause about not driving on unmade roads, if the car is damaged you will be liable for it as it won't be covered by the insurance. It's unlikely the car would be damaged though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Trip

If you only want to do day trips your itinerary is fine as is. With the GOR maybe just aim to travel as far as Apollo Bay before returning to Melbourne.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Trip

When you head out to the Yarra Valley, include the amazing Tarra Warra Museum of Modern Art in your itinerary. This is a unique place, with a world class gallery, top restaurant, cafe and winery all on the one site. Also think about having lunch or coffee at Mt Rael (also goes by the name of Restaurant 3777). This is perched on top of a high hill and the views are behind description. Much nicer than the big wineries with their big dining rooms and crowds.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Trip

Hi there Antipod. Saw your reply dated 28 Aug, makes very much sense especially about the GOR portion. Just to ask for a 2nd opinion please. If I touch down at Mel airport on a Fri afternoon about 130pm, and taking into consideration the time needed to clear the customs and also some paperwork for a car rental at the airport, as well as the usual mel city traffic jam, would I be able to reach say, an accomodation at Port Campbell by 5pm or 6pm? I and my wife would prefer a usual leisure drive, not those >150km hellride haha..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Trip

It all depends, but unlikely.

First, traffic. My google maps say that from Tullamarine to Port Campbell is just over 3 hours drive. That's non-stop at the speed limit. Does not take into account roadworks, traffic jams, etc. And this is inland route, via Colac. Is it how you want to drive? If you wat to take the coastal road, that will take longer. Much longer.

Second is the question how much time will it take to get your bags and clear the customs. If your bag appears on the carousel among the first ones, you are lucky, otherwise... Customs... I cannot tell you how much time it will take. Our recent arrival to Australia with an Australian passport was somewhat different from arrival 18 years ago without one... This time we were pretty much waved through, they just grabbed our arrival declaration (almost as an afterthought). 18 years ago we had our bags sniffed by dogs, asked to open them... You might be scrutinised a bit more, coming from Asia (I apologise most profusely if I sound racist). But unfortunate propensity of some individuals to try and sneak in quarantine-sensitive stuff (herbal medicines and foodstuffs) makes people in uniform a bit more vigilant...

So I would be VERY surprised if you got to Port Campbell by 6 pm. Especially if you take the coastal route. Then, no way. My advice would be to take a break in Geelong, have a (very early) dinner there and then go to Port Campbell. You are not saying when you are planning you trip to happen, but if it's not in the outright holiday season (read: summer), country kitchens keep country hours... Therefore you might not find any even halfway decent dinner by the time you arrive.

Happy travels!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Trip

Hello Antipod, thanks again for the very exhaustive info, it was very much appreciated!! Yup, most likely I will drive the inlands route via Colac on the first day from Mel airport, followed by back to Mel city the 2nd day via the GOR coastal drive. Hopefully I can reach Port Campbell by 7pm the 1st day in this way, and that would simply mean for the 2nd day, I and my wife would have to wake up earlier from the Port Campbell accomodation to set off for the GOR coastal drive so as to reach Mel city car rental depot by 2pm to return the rental car. Would you by any chance have any good recommendations of a reliable car rental company in Mel? I did some research online and found quite a fair bit of mixed reviews on players like Hertz, Avis, Budget etc. However, I found out about Alpha Car Rental company thru online forum as well. Apparently, it too gathered mixed reviews. It is quite worrisome especially when I see the negative reviews made on car rental companies. Or perhaps in the end, I may just take up a 1 day GOR tour package, less hassle and it will be a much more infomative guided tour as compared to self drive and exploration...