We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

I will be visting Melbourne soon, and have been doing some restaurant research. The majority of info I have found recommend The Flower Drum and Vue du Monde, but from what I understand they are both expensive. I do not mind spending the cash if the food is worth it, thus this post. Are either of these restaurants worth what they charge? Also, if the answer is yes, does anyone have a website/e-mail address for The Flower Drum?

Thanks for your advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,292 posts
1,471 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

Hi amaja,

I have eaten at the Flower Drum and absolutely loved it.To me it was a real dining experience. It is very expensive but the food and the service was faultless.

I know others on this forum disagree, but to me it has to be one of the best Chinese restaurants around.

and I have visited China numerous times....

treat it as a special occassion and it will become one.I am going to Melb in a few weeks and its one restaurant I will be eating at..

I dont know the website but you could search thru google..i just did a quick flip thru and a dozen reviews came up.

www.melbournerestaurants.com.au

www.bestrestaurants.com.au

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

Yes i agree with Ellemay..The Flower Drum is great..It really depends on what you intend to order..I wouldnt call it overly expensive..They do serve basic dishes..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

It is for special occasions. be prepared to pay alot though. the experience is worth it, although flower drum recently dropped out of the list of best restaurants in the world.

my advice is to ask for the captain to recommend their daily specialty. don't order things like 'sweet and sour pork' and 'fried rice' their chefs are way beyond that.

vue du monde is also good, but you can get that cuisine anywhere nowadays. i think they are more famous for their chef than their food.

last piece of advice - don't expect too much and the experience is always better. it's like seeing a movie after it's won an award, your expectations are always higher.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

Thanks for the input. I think I will give The Flower Drum a try. As for thier contact info, I have searched all over the web and found many reviews, but no e-mail or webite. I am just trying to find an easy way to make reservations, but I may just have to make an international call.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

If sweet and sour pork/fried rice is on the menu and thats what you feel like then order away..Dont go there trying to be a rockstar..ITS the endangered species end of the menu that gets expensive.

Bowral, NSW
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

Friends of ours who live in Melbourne recently had a lunch at Vue du Monde and raved about it (they have a good deal, not sure of price, but thought in the vicinity of $26 or $36). We plan on going down later in May and trying it out. Supposedly The Flower Drum just lost its Diner's Club status, but that could just be an off night for the reviewer. Have not tried it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,292 posts
1,471 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

Where is the Vue du Monde?....I now want to try it.....taste buds...are yearning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

In the Australian Gourmet Traveller magazine 2006 best Aust. restaurants.

Vue De Monde:

www.vuedemonde.com.au

Three stars which the magazine says 'one of Australia's great restaurants, the equal of the worlds best'.

The Flower Drum is an excellent Chinese restaurant. I haven't been there for a few years but the service was amazing and the food superb. Is it still as good? I can't tell you but it still gets excellent reviews.

It is in the above magazine and also gets three stars.

By the way when I was there Mickey Rooney was on the next table. I normally wouldn't be impressed by celebs but to see a genuine movie star who was so successful as a chld actor in the 1930's was a bit of a thrill.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

The Flower Drum is a must if you like Cantonese.The Peking Duck is amazing.Make sure you book far in advance as it's booked out most days and was solidly booked for the Commonwealth Games,i heard it's booked out until mid May.

The celebs get the good tables at the back and everyone else is seated at the front.Take you're Credit Card.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,292 posts
1,471 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flower Drum & Vue du Monde--worth it??

thanks gracie for info I will be in melb soon..so i'll give it a go...

Yes, the Flower Drum is fanastic...but book ahead as John said...