We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

Hi to all,

we are a couple, travelling with 2 kids (aged 6 & 8) and 2 seniors, total of 6 people. we are planning for a self drive trip out from Melbourne and surrounds from 24 dec to 31 dec. I have planned the iitinerary as follows. Do let me know if the itinerary works well and really if there are better suggestions for the kids. Thanks in advance.

day 1-2

arrive in Melbourne earler morning. call car from airport and drive to Ballarat. Visit Soveriegn Hill.

Night in Ballarat

Day 3

visit ballarat wildlife park (or are there any other better wildlife park where the kids can get close the native animals?)

Drive to Warrnambool, visit Logans Beach to watch the whales

Night in Warrnambool

Day 4

Continue on Great Ocean Rd to 12 Apostles

Drive to Apollo Bay for Lunch

Drive to Torquay, night at Torquay

Day 5

Drive to Queenscliff, take ferry to Sorrento, stop over at Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm, night at Mornington Peninsula

Day 6

Vsiti Peninsula Hot Springs

Drive towards Phillip Island, visit Rhyll Trout and Bush Tucker Farm, visit Phillip Island Nature Parks, night at Phillip Island

Day 7

Drive to ashcombe maze and lavender gardens and back to Melbourne City.

Day 8

Visit Federation Square, Queen Victoria Market. Depart for home after lunch.

Mebourne
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

Hi,

Thats a big adventure and a lot of driving for 8 days!

I would give Warnambool a miss and go from ballarat to the great ocean road. Its very windy, so i hope the kids dont get car sick.

From Sorrento i would go to the Peninsula Hot springs. This can all be done in 1 day as they are only 10-15mins apart.

From Sorrento drive to Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm in Main Ridge (30min drive) and ashcombe maze (only 10mins away from each other).

From Main Ridge/Red Hill area you can drive to Phillip Island but it will take you a couple of hours to get there.

Philip island to Melbourne City is approx 2 hour drive.

Hope this helps.

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

I see that you arrive on the 24th. Sovereign Hill will be closed on that day, as will most attractions in Victoria.

The Wildlife Park is a great place to see native animals up close. You can buy a bag of feed and wander through the park hand feeding the kangaroos.

IMO Warrnambool is a great place to stay overnight & a good place to begin a trip on the GOR. You can take the kids to Lake Pertobe adventure playground & the beachside fair will also be running at that time of year. You will be unlikely to see whales though, their season is July to October.

If you're looking to stay in Torquay you will have to book accommodation early. It's a very popular spot during Christmas & New Year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

thanks Stacey B and Kwaussie for your invaluable advice.

I'll be arriving in Melbourne on 25th Dec. Will most of the attractions be closed on that day? Should i stay in Melbourne CIty or drive out to the outskirts?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

25th December is Christmas Day so almost everything is closed on that day. Melbourne Zoo is open though, so depending on what time you get in you could visit the zoo on that day.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

Sorry double post

Edited: 5:06 am, August 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

Its also our very busy summer school hols so you will need to book ahead to avoid any disappointment.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

I would suggest a visit to Healesville Sanctuary they are open all year round so you could visit on Xmas Day, see their website for details, on that day you can have a lovely drive through the ,Dandenong Ranges and Yarra Valley, perhaps have a picnic or BBQ and stay a night out that way the next day you could take the kids on Puffing Billy and then visit the trout farm in Macclesfield, its a lovely part of Victoria. You could then from the Dandenongs head down to do Phillip Island then the rest of your itinerary missing out on Ballart. As the website says you will need to book ahead for the penguin parade in December as it's our summer and school holidays

www.visitvictoria.com

www.penguins.org.au

www.zoo.org.au/healesville

www.fishfarm.com.au

www.experiencethedandenongs.com.au

Hope this is of some help

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

Please allow some time for heavy traffic, especially on Dec 26 & 27th as many people will also be traveling on the road to go on their Summer holidays.

Also, Dec 25th is Christmas Day and almost everything will be closed, especially out of Melb so I would suggest you do your day trip (Zoo / Healesville etc) & return to Melb for dinner as you will have a better chance of finding restaurants that are open in the city. (e.g. your hotel, Chinatown etc) The shops in Healesville region will certainly be all closed.

9. Re: melbourne Itinerary for 8 days with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 16, 2013