We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to melbourne

seattle, wa
1 post
Save Topic
moving to melbourne

thinking of moving to melbourne, where are the nice places to live? where should i avoid? would like ot be near both water, and city centre.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
184 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to melbourne

It depends on your age and interests but Port Melbourne is great with many new apartments (often with a water view), light rail to the the city which is only a short distance away. Once a working class suburb, Port Melbourne is now home to the young professionals with renovated cottages and new apartment buildings with all facilities - pools, gyms etc.

Albert Park is also great - close to beaches and again not too far from the city. Older homes in this area - much character with up market eateries and shops.

Then there is Docklands - large numbers of new and almost new apartments for rental, often at bargain basement prices (because there were too many of them come onto the market). Depending on how energetic you are, you can walk it or take a tram to town. Victoria Harbour in Docklands has the action with great waterfront restaurants, bars and a few shops. Sensational views of the harbour and the Bolte Bridge from many apartments.

If you like more bohemian/alternative then St Kilda is the place for you. Very cosmopolitan with all manner of restaurants & shops. It fronts the beach with trams to the city -- about a 15 minute ride away. Fitzroy Street has great eateries and Acland Street is famous for its cake shops. Parts of the area, however, are a bit dodgy/dangerous at night and are also the hangout of prostitutes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to melbourne

Hi Lachlan, Melbourne is a wonderful city to live in although many from the US find it a bit quiet after the big cities there. Melb is situated on a bay, so many bayside suburbs are lovely (although expensive) and most are close to the city and are serviced by good public transport. Why don't you let me know what you need in the city, like schools or uni or whatever, and I will give you my opinion.

Be prepared to choose a football team....its compulsory in Melbourne. regards Jennie

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to melbourne

Difficult question to answer, how much money do you want to spend, rent or buy, etc....Most inner city suburbs are great but as in any major city it costs more to live close to the city and more again to live close to the water. Also the houses are smaller. Your dollar has good buying power though, so you should do ok. The suggestions of Port Melb is good and Williamstown is another great little suburb but not as easy to get too.

Brightonprincess is right, a football team is necessary and Essendon is my suggestion. Good luck with the move.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to melbourne

Hello. Willnino gives good advice......apart from the football team suggestion!!!!! Go Pies.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to melbourne

Brightonprincess you should mention to everyone exactly how hated that slogan is.....go pies....only Melburnians would know..haha.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to melbourne

I just love living in Melbourne as football brings out the best in all of us. I'm travelling this year for Anzac Day (I'll be in the US) so no football for me that day. Very sad so will need to check on the internet