We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DG2
SE London
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

I am an Australian citizen that wishes to return from the UK and live in Melbourne again. We are thinking about Mt Eliza since as a teacher I can get work within a 30km radius. What is it really like there? Is it too far to get into Carlton for good Italian food? I have not been there since a school camp in 1973!

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

It is a nice rural/semi rural area on the Mornington Peninsula - so for work its definately a good location and your near a major shopping centre in Frankston. What is you exact location for work or may that vary?

However, you do need to get yur priorities right. I know that if I was working 5 days week being closer to work is more important that a maybe once a week trip to Carlton for dinner. Is it 2 far - yes maybe as travel would prob be an hour to Carlton (maybe slightly shorter outside depedning on time of day). You culd live closer into the city (Chelsea/ Parkdale/ Mordialloc)and still be in relavtively good commuter times of the MP and a lot closer to Carlton (or inner Melbourne).

But look at it this way - you live in Carlton just for the food but commute 5 days a week to the Morningotn Peninsula- I know which I prefer.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

DG2

It is probably too far to go to Carlton regularly to eat, but the good news is there are good Italian Restaurants all over Melbourne including the MP. I'm sure with a bit of testing you will find somewhere nearby that you enjoy. Maybe even a post here asking for recommendations from people that live down that way.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

Hi,

I know Mt Eliza well, and you dont need to go to Carlton for good Italian.

Frankston has a few restaurants, one in particular named Ecco Qui in Frankston.

and I know Italian food!!!!

Wanna no more Italian, just ask me.

You could look at living in Frankston or Frankston South.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
644 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

Another great Italian restaurant is Montalto restaurant at the Montalto winery at Red Hill which is not too far on the Mornington peninsula. Carlton is not the place for great Italian food anymore, it is all over Melbourne.

www.montalto.com.au

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
644 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

Actually I just remembered Montalto is more mediterranean. Another Italian restaurant at a vineyard in the area is T'Gallant Baccara Trattoria. There is a rustic outdoor area with wood fired oven and a more formal type italian restaurant.

www.tgallant.com.au/brands/tgallant/index.asp

The area has changed alot since 1973.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

As someone who lives 8 minutes from the city, Mt Eliza is a LONG way out. I have colleagues who travel into the city from the Morninton Pen and they get very tired of the travel (an hour or more). So it depends on where you (and your wife?) will be working. It is also more difficult with public transport so perhaps you could try somewhere still in the suburbs, but a bit closer to the city and Carlton such as Berwick.

KSJ
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

DG2, have read the posts with fascination re your move, Mrs DG2's concens and now Mt Eliza. What can I say, I moved from Melb to Sydney 15 years ago and the culture shock nearly killed me. I love to visit Melbourne now but couldn't think of moving back there, like all moves (suburbs, regions, cities, states and countries) you have got to give yourselves at least 6 -12 months to even start to settle. Holidays are the worst so try moving after - not for!!

As far as Mt Eliza goes, most of my friends who are still in Melbourne have moved further from the city as they matured (we are now all in our late 30's and 40's) and Mt Eliza is a beautiful area, the MP is now so accesible and has a very distictive feel and vibe that is wonderful. In the warmer weather they often have opera and other 'entertainments' in the vinyards (I mean concerts, Shakespere plays etc) under the open sky and MP is getting a real reputation for fine foods and great dining. Try staying at one of the many B&B's in the region to see if the vibe is right for you both. Mrs DG2 will be one of a very very small minority if she wants to return to the UK to live. I hope she has a drivers licence though, the PT system in Oz is still an erratic and peril filled adventure compared to europe (and the UK is still part of Europe). Good Luck with the move.

DG2
SE London
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in Mt Eliza - too far from Melbourne?

Thanks for the time you have spent. Yes the MP has come along way since I was young 25 years ago.