We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Topic
best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

Hi - looking for your best cinema to head to in melbourne city area - staying on exhibition street. Current movies - but maybe an interesting cinema complex or huge screen etc?

Thanks

Ballan, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

The Hoyts at Melbourne Central occupies the retail space formerly operated by Diamaru.

I go to the cinema very rarely (the last movie I saw at the cinema being Avatar)and I paid my $40.00 and booked online for the 'Director's Suite' on 9 February to see Lincoln.

Hoyts Directors Suite seats 56 and is a better presented version of the Village Gold Class for that special Saturday evening out, without the riff-raff of adolescents rattling crisp wrappers etc in the standard cinemas.

One prints their confirmation and brings it along to the ticket window then the confirmation is exchanged for a ticket and you are directed to walk to the clearly signposted Directors Suite where you are met by the maître d, who shows you the facilities of the Suite's lounge area and invites you to take a seat in the adjacent lounge and peruse the extensive menu and or partake in a beverage or a cocktail whilst waiting.

The house white riesling (Nagambie)was fine which accompanied the chicken kebabs with cocoanut and satay sauce and the chicken/avocado wrap was good, though it was difficult in the dark to pull out the accompanying indigestible cucumber in the salad. The powered lounge chair was a bit light on in the head rest area and the top of the shoulders seemed slightly uncomfortable with the top of the chair pressing in.

The option to run a tab whilst at the cinema was appreciated though not utilised, however I felt like a drink at the bar at the end of the movie, however the bar staff were 'too busy' to facilitate this, which along with some disorganisation in the delivery of the catering during the movie to some others in the Suite was the only downside of the evening.

Edited: 4:27 pm, February 09, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Melbourne Central
Melbourne Central
1,410 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

Another vote for the Astor if you can get to it. No current movies though. Or how about a trip to the drive in - nice and cosy in Winter :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

The original post was May last year!

While *some* people might appreciate the additions when they do a forum search on this topic, it is unlikely to be of help to the OP. It is also frustrating when you haven't checked the dates, then realise you have wasted time with a response.

Ballan, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

I was writing a report on the Hoyts cinema. If you know of a better place to submit the report to, I'd be happy to place my report in there as well......over to you Ellen Willow.

Mike.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

Mike, your report will get lost. Most people don't bother reading through all the other posts, they just respond to the OP, often without checking the date to realise that they have probably already travelled. It just gets really confusing & most forum regulars wish TA would bring back the rule where posts are closed after 6 months of inactivity. I then usually get smart*** comments made to me when I point out that a thread is old, sometimes I wonder why I bother:(

Mike, you would be better off staring your own thread with the review as at least people will read it. Or you can see if it's been reviewed before as an attraction & if not, request that TA add it to the list.

16. Re: best cinema in melbourne city to go to in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 11, 2014