We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver Service Dining

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
718 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Silver Service Dining

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a place that offers a silver service dining experience?

Thanks

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver Service Dining

Vue de Monde, Jaques Reymond, Grossi Florentino, Rockpool, Ezard

Expect to pay for the experience!

For reviews, have a look at www.urbanspoon.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,304 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver Service Dining

Also add The Deck and Number 8

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
718 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver Service Dining

Oohhhhh lol sorry I'm such a noob. I didn't realize that's just a fancy way of calling those restaurants.

I've already been to Vue de Monde, Grossi Florentino and Number 8 - pretty impressed. ^_^

Will probably have to check the others some time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver Service Dining

Silver service is the serving of food at your table using a fork and spoon held by the waiter in one hand. I doubt anyone does it these days!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver Service Dining

Silver service is the serving of food at your table using a fork and spoon held by the waiter in one hand. I doubt anyone does it these days!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silver Service Dining

"I doubt anyone does it these days!" Guess you don't get out much, it's still very much common practice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silver Service Dining

Try the Flower Drum - Chinese...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silver Service Dining

I do get out a bit but not those places! The only one on Evas list I've been to is Ezard and it wasnt silver service. In any modern restaurant its all about the food being plated by the chefs, very carefully. Not thrown around by a waiter wielding a fork and spoon!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silver Service Dining

I have eaten in some pretty fancy places including three starred places in France, and while you get very attentive service and individualised service, including pouring sauces on etc, it is a long time since I saw the serving of people at the table from a common silver dish with the waiter using a spoon and fork which I knew in my childhood.

These days, accompanying food is usually chosen to suit the main course, so not everyone eats the same veggies etc. You might find it at a formal banquet.

I agree that Chinese places will sometimes serve a dish such as Sang Choy Bau using a spoon and fork, but it is not really silver service.

I suppose these days we talk about top restaurants or hatted restaurants or starred restaurants.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silver Service Dining

Lynn is right. True silver service rarely happens any more. You can still find it in some of the exclusive London clubs but being served from a trolley and choosing your own veges doesn't happen any more. These days the chef decides what you will eat and how large your portion will be. The term has come to refer to any fancy restaurant with linen tablecloths, professional wait staff ( as opposed to part time uni students, out of work actors Nd kids on WHVs) top food and chefs and usually high prices.

Funnily enough, the last time I had true silver service was in 1st class on an MAS flight - but that was a while ago.