We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Games

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Great Games

Just wanted to say what a great Commonwealth Games its been and well done to Melbourne. You certainly have some great athletes. I was glued to your young 15 year old high jumper yesterday!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Great Games

mfj,

what about macquarie harbour, strahan tasmania? it sticks in my mind as we did a 2 hour cruise on it many years ago and that was 1.5 hours too long...lol

interesting about harboursiders. have not heard the term before. only sydneysiders.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Great Games

How bout Newcastle and Wollongong harbours which are both only just over 2 hours and 1 hours drive respectively from Sydney???

or Ulladulla or Coffs harbour???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Great Games

I just had thought about this...

Sydney Harbour is actually Port Jackson, as the harbour really only applies to an area safe for the mooring of ships. So therefore should we be Jacksonsiders?

mfj
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Great Games

Sorry for the confusion guys! My reference to there being "...only ONE harbour in Aus (if not the world)" was my obviously unclear way of saying that Sydney has the best harbour in Aus, and according to my much travelled wife, it's the best harbour of any major city in the world.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Great Games

Lol- I wont debate about Auckland harbour then - or the spectacular location (abeit all mainly urban) of Hong Kong harbour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Great Games

How do you define best then mfi? Dont get me wrong I am a big fan of Sydney Harbour. But we have Poole Harbour in UK surrounded by beautiful countryside and one of the largest natural harbours in the world. We also have Portsmouth Harbour which ferries about 3 million people a year to the Channel Islands , France and Spain.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Great Games

lol- dont worry Rose- there will be as many oppinions as they are harbours. It is natural to favour ones "own"locale as the best- we all do. What helps Sydney is the sight of so many boats on a hot day - I agree there are just as many gr8 harbours I have seen but the weather always helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Great Games

andy do you mean you would nt prefer it in a blizzard!!! Sorry, it was nt intended to sound like a my harbours better than yours debate!