We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Games

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Great Games

Just wanted to say what a great Commonwealth Games its been and well done to Melbourne. You certainly have some great athletes. I was glued to your young 15 year old high jumper yesterday!

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Games

Yea - they have been good and has been orgnaised great. Although I had to divert this afternoon cos of the bike race had closed Punt Rd and I had to get from the north to the south of the city.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Games

thanks for the compliments.

yes we all should be proud of ourselves.

we always seem to give a great time and show.

and most our athletes are so polite and compliment others even when we arent winning.

it gives me great pride to be a part of such a great country!!

and i live in hope and prayer that it wont become destroyed.

congrats to all of the competitors, well done!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Games

Hi ER

Yes they have been great and great results for the Aussies as well and for all of the athletes. One thing it really highlighted was the brillant weather Melbourne has in our autumn. Sunny days with top temps between 25 & 30C with lovely cool nights.

Loved the fireworks at both Opening & Closing Cerem. around the MCG and down the Yarra River and throughout the CBD.

Proud to be a Melbournian.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Games

Hello all, I have been missing for a few days, a combination of work and going to the Games. I am so tired but it was a fantastic time. People just have to be at the MCG when it is full, would love to hear what any visitors thought of it. AJ, we sat in the MCC members both nights (Fri and Sat), it is looking good for the football. There were many highlights, couple of disappointments too. I have been closely following Craig Mottram's career for many years and was looking forward to see how he finished the 1500meters but the fall wasn't in the script.

The atmosphere and crowds in Melb during the whole games was sensational. Cloudy in Melbourne today and rain coming this afternoon....at last....haha. We do need it and it is funny how it arrives the day after the closing ceremony. Footy season now :-))

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Games

I never come on this forum as I have only spent a total of about 3 days in Melbourne therefore know nothing!! But just had to come on and say that Melboring looked anything but during the games..... Well done guys and by all accounts you no doubt had a lot of fun and hopefully you attended lots of events. The turn up was fantastic. 10 Points!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,203 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Games

Now I'm home and almost back to reality I have to congratulate Melbourne and it's wonderful weather for a great sporting event.

The G on Saturday night was something I don't think I'll ever forget and the cycling on Sunday was good (pity about the poor telecast of the men's.

I'll do a ful report in a few dyas when I come back to earth...

Thanks to the locals for their wonderful hospitality....I have to get on the bike more often now...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Games

Pepe55 Thanks for the compliments to Melbourne for the Games. Glad you enjoyed them. Maybe if you spent more than 3 days here in a lifetime you would learn Its definitely Not the name you used but a really exiting, enjoyable, nice friendly city well worth exploring. As is Sydney!

Guruswife, so glad you enjoyed the games too. I haven't really been a big bike fan in the past but the tactics of the road races was great to watch and try to understand.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Games

Yeah great games Melbourne, welll done!

But what was with that dam duck anyhow?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Games

Apparantly the 'story-line', or at least part of it, came from one of Michael Luenig's (sp) cartoons. I wish they explained what was going on during the commentary of the opening ceremony, as I had no idea what was going on. Though the fireworks in the opening and closing ceremony were amazing (even on telly!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Games

Having lived in Melbourne once before I have to say the games made me homesick for it again! Watching the english commentators on the BBC it sounded as if they all wanted to move there as well.

Only criticism i had of the closing ceremony was the focus on the AFL, which although is recognised as a melbourne sport, it was dragged out a bit. It's not a c'wealth games sport, and the self-promotion was a bit too obvious/tedious. Don't get me wrong, I love the game (go Hawks!) but it was a bit out of place in my opinion.

Apart from that, I wish i was there in person, the atmos looked pretty electric throughout the 2 weeks. Well done Melbourne