We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 course lunch special offers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 course lunch special offers

Would like to try some Melbourne restaurants which offer 2 course lunch specials including glass of wine and coffee. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

I assume you are referring to Restaurant Express which is part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival??

melbournefoodandwine.com.au/events/highlight…

There are so many restaurants offering this special deal, it's hard to go through them all and list the ones one likes.

Your best bet would be to find something that appeals in terms of location and type of food on offer and then check it out on one of the foodies sites like

urbanspoon.com/c/…Melbourne-restaurants.html

to see what other Melbourne diners think.

From past ecperience I can just say that the more expensive the restaurant the smaller the portions will be in your 2 course lunch.

Als9o, make sure you book early (and you must book) because the most popular places get booked out very quickly.

Enjoy!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,203 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

At any time of the year you can get 2 curse specials in some of the restaurants in south bank.. there are also a few in Docklands (Turkish???)

Not sure about currently but in the past we have done this at The deck and at Othello. (there's another greek too????)I think we may have also done similar at Number 8 and the nearby seafood.

These have just been standard lunch fare as we have not visited during the food festival (most big cities have these offers at places all year round, e.g. in sydney Doyles, Waterfront etc)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

<<At any time of the year you can get 2 curse specials >>

War? Famine? Pestilence? Frogs? Boils? Hopefully not food poisoning ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,203 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

YEAH OK...phone did a typo check...

course!

but sometimes they are coarse!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,203 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

OK so it bumps up mu post cownt :) isn;y that what we all want?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

evamelb, one reason I have always avoided these deals is that my perception is that the management and staff may regard you as a 'pest' in terms of seeking a cheap dining experience.

Hence, they may be rude to you, or alternatively try to 'upsell' expensive bottles of wine.

Am I being overly cautious?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

Yes Victorianlad, I think you are being overly cautious.

The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival is a huge event and well publicized. The Restaurant Express is a major part of the Festival.

The purpose of this special deal is to encourage diners to try somewhere new with a view to winning over more regular customers. It started when the FBT put an end to the 'long lunch' so it's a way of getting bums on seats during lunchtime service when restaurants are much quieter.

They are hardly going to achieve this unless they treat these customers well.

Yes, they may offer you extras, but it's up to you whether you accept of not. (your one glass of wine will be tiny)

I've never been treated any differently because I was on a 'special deal', whether it be part of the F&W or because I was using an Entertainment book voucher. I promise that during F&W you will not be the only one dining on a fixed price lunch deal.

The only place I have experienced rude service while having a special deal lunch was at Gunners Barracks in Sydney where the waiter was rude, officious and snooty - but I noticed he was like that to everyone, not just me ;-)

In any restaurant, no matter how much or how little you spend, if the service is rude or not to your satisfaction, you should notify the management.

BTW fixed prices lunch deals are the norm in most of Europe.

Just go out, try the different places and enjoy your meal.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

Below is an extract from a recent article in The Age. Haven't tried most of them but can recommend Matteos - beautiful.

Albert Park Hotel Oyster Bar and Grill Two tacos and choice of Thai salad, $20

Botanical, South Yarra Two courses and glass of wine (dining room), $35; one course and glass of wine (wine store) $20

Cafe Di Stasio, St Kilda Slow Food Lunch, two courses, glass of wine and coffee, $35, 7 days

Cafe Latte, Toorak Two-course pranzo lunch deal, two courses and glass of wine, $35, Mon-Fri

Fuji Teppanyaki, Moonee Ponds Sunday lunch special, from $27.

The French Brasserie, city Two-course express lunch and glass of wine, $35

Hellenic Republic, Brunswick East Three-course sharing menu, $35, Fri

Jacques Reymond, Prahran Two courses $55; three courses $70; four courses $85 with coffee and petit fours, Thurs-Fri

The Kitchen Cat, city Two courses and wine, $29; three courses and wine, $37, Mon-Sat

Koko, Crown, Southbank Two courses, $46.50; three courses, $57 (choice of side dish and valet parking), 7 days

Koots Salle a Manger, Kooyong Two courses and coffee, $30; three courses and coffee, $38 (new menu each day), Tues-Fri

Taxi Dining Room, city ''Bento box'' served as four separate courses (sushi/sashimi, soup, meat/fish, sorbets), $45, 7 days, until end of November.

The Press Club, city Four-course sharing menu, $65; five-course degustation, $85

The Little Press & Cellar, city Two courses and glass of wine, $35; three courses and wine, $45, Mon-Fri

Libertine, North Melbourne: Four-course mini-degustation menu with a glass of wine, $60 (from November 15), Tues-Sat

Livingroom, Malvern Two courses and glass of wine, $35, Mon-Fri

Maha, city Lunch bar express soufra and glass of wine, $25; two-course soufra, $35 (wine match $25); three-course, $40; four-course, $45, Mon-Fri

Matteo's, Fitzroy North Express lunch, two courses and glass of wine, $44 (up to 10 people), Mon Fri; lazy Sunday lunch - four shared dishes, $75

The Middle Park Hotel Five counter specials, each $12

Naked for Satan, Fitzroy 80-cent pintxos (normally $2), noon-4pm, Mon-Fri

Nobu, Crown, Southbank Two courses, $46.50; three courses, $57 (choice of side dish and valet parking), 7 days

Number 8, Crown: Two courses, $44.50; three courses, $49.50 (includes side dish and valet parking), 7 days

The Point, Albert Park Two courses and glass of wine, $35, three courses, $47, Mon-Sat

Preserve Kitchen, Glen Iris Two courses, $35; three courses and coffee, $45, Tues-Fri

Pure South, Southgate Two-course table d'hote menu, $39; three courses, $49, weekdays, until end of November

Royal Saxon, Richmond One-course solo pranzo of six specials, $20

Saint Peter's, city Two-course fishes and loaves lunch, $30, Mon-Fri. (Also at Toofey's)

Sarti, city Five-course stuzzichini degustation lunch, $35, weekdays, until end of November

Society, city: One course includes glass of wine, coffee or soft drink $20, weekdays until end of November

Sosta Cucina, North Melbourne Two-course cucina povera menu, $27; three-course, $35

St Katherine's, Kew Two-course express menu, $19.50, three-course sharing-style menu, $40

The Station Hotel, Footscray Soup and steak sandwich, $12.50, Mon-Sat

Steer Bar & Grill, South Yarra Two courses (any appetiser and $40 credit for main) plus choice of side dish, coffee and petit fours, $49, Fri only

Vasko, Ivanhoe Select lunch, $19.90 including wine or coffee, soft drink

Vue de Monde Two-course One Hour Lunch, $60, or two-courses at the restaurant's Lui Bar for $30

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

The Vue de Monde Two-course One Hour Lunch, $60 is usually a hot ticket item. V de M is Melbourne's best restaurant and for the average person, the prices usually require a visit to the bank manager to get a second mortgage or the sale of a spare body part.

If you can get a reservation for their special F&W festival lunch, then I would grab it.

The Press Club and Jacques Reymond are also in this league.

I find the Bot overpriced - and the wearing of black is mandatory here ;-)

Some like the formulaic experience that is Nobu - I don't, but to each their own. If you have eaten at one Nobu restaurant then you've tried them all.

The Point is lovely on a warm, sunny, still day when you can sit out on the deck, but Albert Park Lake is pretty unpleasant in the wind.

Hellenic Republic does awesome food.

Seems as though you are spoiled for choice.

Edited: 3:47 am, March 27, 2012
auntieroz
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 course lunch special offers

That's ridiculous thinking. Some of the best dining values in Melbourne are to be had during lunch. Restaurants do lunch specials to promote themselves to new customers. They certainly want to present themselves well.