We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do and see in Melbourne???

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
7 posts
Save Topic
Things to do and see in Melbourne???

Taking my wife and 2 daughters (ages 14 and 16) to Melbourne for the first week of July. Any suggestions on what the girls would enjoy doing or seeing?

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Things to do and see in Melbourne???

SORRY Willnino, I am wrong with my dates!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, soccer is fast going to become HUGE!!!!!!

have a nice day!!!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Things to do and see in Melbourne???

You may struggle to get to a game as you are here from Tues to Saturday. There are no games on in Melb Tues to Friday but there are two on the Saturday. I would think you would struggle to get to either of these if you are leaving. If you happen to be leaving late on the Saturday, you could look at the day games in Melb, Haw vs West Coast at the MCG or Carlton vs Geelong at the Dome. They start at 2 and finish by 5.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Things to do and see in Melbourne???

graciem, you got some great ideas for the girls!!

looks like they may miss out on Aussie rules hey!!!!!!!!

not that I have anything against it ?!

soccer is quite popular in america i believe though!!!

have a great time camptango.

mfj
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Things to do and see in Melbourne???

Fear not Camptango - we'll get you to a game of AFL one way or the other. If you're in Sydney either immediately before or after Melbourne, you can see the mighty Sydney Swans play - the have home games on Saturday night 1 July (v Fremantle) and on Sunday afternoon 9 July (v Adelaide).

You can't say you've been to Aus in winter if you don't take in at least one game.

Vancouver, BC
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Things to do and see in Melbourne???

I think it would be great to see a game, but I don't think it's going to work in Melbourne as we fly out at 2:00 pm on Saturday, July 8th. We may make it to the game in Sydney on July 9th against Adelaide, which I understand is tops in the league right now. That would be a great game to go to as Sydney is near the top as well.

Is there a team that plays out of Cairns as we will have a lot more time up there?

Also, I think we can make the game in Brisbane on July 22nd against Hawthorn as we will be in Surfers Paradise on that weekend.

What is the best way to get tickets to a game?

Thanks for all your help.

CAMPTANGO

mfj
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Things to do and see in Melbourne???

You can buy tickets online at www.ticketek.com.au or in person at any Ticketek office - just ask hotel staff for directions to one of their offices in Sydney or Brisbane. Or you can buy tickets at the ground on the day, but the best seats will have gone by then.

There is no AFL team in Cairns.

If you go and see my team - the mighty Swans - you've got to holler "Carna Bloods!"

That means "Come on Bloods!" Bloods being the abbreviated version of the club's original nickname of the "Blood-stained Angels".

All together now....