We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne - Bar Work and Weather in Nov??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne - Bar Work and Weather in Nov??

Hey...

Am coming to Oz in October/November for a year (on my own) on a working holidays visa.. i am starting off in Melbourne as i have family there and am hoping to chill for a month before i have to find work.

My questions to you are... how easy is it to get a bar job and what are the wages like? are they enough to live on? Am bringing savings with me, but hope to be able to use that money for when i am not working... hoping to do 3 months work to 1 months not working and so on etc...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :o)

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne - Bar Work and Weather in Nov??

Well one bit of advice I can give Doodette is that you should try and get here early November and work straight away before chilling in December. Oct/November is the Spring Racing carnival and it lasts about 5 or 6 weeks. It is one of the heaviest drinking times in Melbourne and should have a peak amount of work available. Work might slacken off a little over December, although the Ashes cricket this year is bringing a huge amount of visitors over and from mid Dec through the Boxing Day cricket test 26th to 30 Dec should also see peak work available. Once the cricket is over it is summer holidays here and it would be a good time to start your travels and work at one of the beach resorts during January.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne - Bar Work and Weather in Nov??

Thanks for your reply! that is great news.. am really trying to make it out there for Oct, but yes, it does make sense to work for a few months and then have the whole xmas and new year thing off!!

cant wait!

any other tips and advice would be great :o)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne - Bar Work and Weather in Nov??

Not sure what you want the tips and advice on, just ask questions and we will see what info we can help you with.