We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Southern England
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Hi everyone

Am contemplating taking the above flight to visit my daughter who now lives in Oz. I've never flown this far before and am a little nervous!!

I've read many differing opinions on stop-overs, but have decided to do the journey in the shortest time possible.

There is a Qantas flight out of LHR @ 21.30 and the flights details say "layover in Singapore 1.5 hours" (re-fuelling). The same plane is used for both legs of the journey.

Have any fellow TA members used this flight? In particular, do you get off the plane in Singapore?

If yes, do you make it as far as the departure lounge with time for refreshments etc, or is it just a question of spending a few minutes in the transit area?

Sorry if I'm asking a question with a very obvious answer - I simply don't know what happens.

Thanks for any help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

I have done the quick change in Sinapore a number of times and agree that a little longer is better. 3-4 hrs is ideal I find. It is long enough to go to one of the massage places and get a 1/2 hour massage to relax all the muscles knotted up from sleeping in cattle class seats, have a shower, have a proper meal and wander the shops for a little while.

I find the 1.5hr change too short, you don't relly have time to do anything other than have a quick walk, especially on the A380s and 747s because they board again so soon.

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

My mother and I are flying from Heathrow to Melbourne next month and visiting my brother and family who have just moved out there.

I have booked flights with Singapore airlines.

We leave Heathrow in the evening and land at Singapore p.m. the following day.

I have booked an overnight stay in Singapore (outward and also return )which will slpit the flight up for us. Singapore airport has a transit hotel at the airport, there is also the Crowne Plaza which is attached to the airport and we are staying at the Grand Mercure which is located 15 minutes from the airport.

At heathrow I am planning to have our bags checked straight through to Melbourne, so when we get off at Singapore we will only have hand luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,498 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Good planning treetops, I'm sure you'll be more relaxed for it. Those 20+ hours can stretch most of us.

GoingGreyNow treetops planning is worth looking at.

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Many thanks for your comments regarding my travel arrangements. I must say that I am really looking forward to the stopover in Singapore and of course, my visit to Melbourne.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Hi Treetops, how was the trip? How does the baggage forwarding work? I'm doing this trip with disabled husband in March/April and wonder whether or not to stop over.

female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Hi Treetops, how was the trip? How does the baggage forwarding work? I'm doing this trip with disabled husband in March/April and wonder whether or not to stop over.

female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Just a tip - the Transit Hotels in each of the 3 Terminals at Changi Airport are inexpensive, well located and although basic, have all the amenities you need for a good rest/ sleep - without the hassle of collecting baggage & clearing customs.

I sometimes choose a longer layover so I can have a massage, sleep and change clothes if I'm changing temperature zones. This can be very useful and starting the next 8/18 hours refreshed can make a difference.

OTOH, unless I had a few days to explore somewhere I really wanted to go, I wouldn't bother with clearing customs & staying over for a night. Caveat: I've been flying long haul all my life, so my take may differ from yours.

female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Thanks, that is helpful. Can you explain more about the luggage - what happens if it arrives in Melbourne before we do?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Flying London/Melbourne with Qantas

Thanks, that is helpful. Can you explain more about the luggage - what happens if it arrives in Melbourne before we do?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia