We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AVF
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

Hi!

Need some advice as my itinerary seems a bit crazy. We're going to Melbourne on a business + leisure trip 5th - 11th Nov. The thing is, the training i'm suppose to attend is stucked in between (8th-9th). I've mapped out what we intend to do, would be great if u cld popped some advice. thanks!

day 1-explore city. evening going to PI

day 2-GOR daytrip (too tiring eh?)

day 3-work (sigh)

day 4-work (sigh2X)

day 5-puffing billy+dandenong+healesville

day 6-ballooning(if $$ permits)

day 7-last minute shopping, flight at 3 PM.

p/s:

is it too packed? we're also keen on looking for cheap dinnerware(correlle in particular). any ideas?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

One day for the GOR is not enough if you want to see the Apostles unless you're planning on a tour.l You don't say if you're driving yourself or taking tours.

Ballooning is not just dependent on $$ but on the weather. You will need to check out if the company will refund you in $$ not a voucher.It is a very early start for ballooning usually so you would have the rest of the day for more sightseeing.

Corelle dinnerware can be bought a little more cheaply from the DFO outlet in Bulla Rd Essendon that I know of and probably some of the others like Moorabbin. You would have to consider baggage/freight costs to get it home before considering how much of a bargain it is.

It is Puffing Billy and the Dandenongs, not Dandenong. It would be a long day doing both Puffing Billy and the Sanctuary. You would need a car.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

There's also a DFO in South Wharf - nearer to the CBD, and another outlet that used to be DFO (not sure of it's latest incarnation but the shops are the same) at Southern Cross Station. Compared to KL I doubt you will find any bargains here.

I agree with unclefey that GOR in one day is a big ask, but there are companies who do it.

www.aatkings.com.au/au/tour.php?tour_code=K4L

Their day tour takes 12 hours and you will be doing a lot of bus time with not much time to explore on your own.

To do Puffing Billy, the Dandenongs and Healesville in one day you would need to hire a car for the day. Again, it's a lot to do in one day. Two out of three would be more practical - there's a lot to see at Healesvile Sanctuary.

If you don't want to hire a car, the same company (above) does day tours to Puffing Billy and Healesvile sanctuary.

You could then visit the Dandenongs the next day as ballooning takes place at dawn - be prepared for a 4 am pick up as it gets light early (daylight savings)

Don't forget that Tues Nov 6th (your day 2?) is Melbourne Cup day and as such, is a public holiday.

Have a great trip!

AVF
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

Darn, forgot to mention that we'll be boiked with ATWAD.since it's melbourne cup day,should I shift it to another day.heard traffic along GOR can get pretty long?

AVF
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

Darn, forgot to mention that we'll be boiked with ATWAD.since it's melbourne cup day,should I shift it to another day.heard traffic along GOR can get pretty long?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Actually this year Melbourne Cup is the 1st November. So you shouldn't have a problem.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

Oops. 6 th would be 2012. Sorry!

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

i live on the Great Ocean Road traffic might be heavy going back as it is usually taken as a long weekend because of Cup Day. You will spend most of your time in a bus.... it is a very long and curvy road..Stop at the Aireys Pub watch the race and go back,( have a look at Fairhaven beach)..better still go to a pub in Port Melbourne and enjoy the day..Cup Day is an institution..

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Yes

9. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 15, 2013