We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Lunch???

Shropshire
6 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Lunch???

Hi there,

I'm looking to book Christmas Lunch in Melbourne and need some recommendations! There will be about 12 of us and we'll be looking to spend about $120-$200.

In fact some other general advice on great restaurants / bars / cafe's would be appreciated as I haven't been to Melbourne before! Hopefully staying at Eden on the Park - reviews all seem good - would everyone agree?

Thanks

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Lunch???

If Ellemay looks at this post maybe we can get her to find one of her previous threads which asked for advice on places to eat and have fun in Melbourne, there is a load of information on that one. There are a number of places that put on Xmas lunch, mainly in the large hotels but we won't know who is doing it till much closer to the time. I have friends who go to the Windsor for lunch each year and rave about it.

Eden on the Park is not the very best location in Melbourne. It is on a very busy road about 5 to 10mins outside the CBD and just short of StKilda. For exercise it is great as you can walk across the road to Albert Park and walk or run around the lake. 10mins walk will get you to Fitzroy St. StKilda, for shops and restaurants (Ackland St has some great eating places as well), golf driving range and also to the Aquatic centre which you will see a fair bit of if you watch the Commonwealth Games.

A 5 min walk will get you to StKilda Rd where you can get the tram into town or it is probably about a $8 taxi fare. Remember Xmas DAy is warm here and plenty of people get outside for bbq's etc. You are only 5-10mins walk from the Botanical Gardens if you wanted to do the Grand Picnic option. Just on the Botanic Gardens, Xmas Eve has Carols by Candlelight on at the Myer Music Bowl which is an outdoors venue within the Botanic Gardens. Big names and big crowds get along, in case you are interested in something like this.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,864 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Lunch???

Le gourmet does a great Christmas lunch I think within the budget you have indicated I presume its per person??

Shropshire
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Lunch???

Hi to both of my replies,

thanks for the advice on the location of Eden on the Park, it kind of changes my mind a little! We want to stay in South Yarra / St Kilda area so the next question is can you reccomend a good Hotel?! Max $200 a night. would like to be withing 5/10 mins walk of shops and bars etc and also have somewhere with some decent amenities. A friend we are coming with has booked into Albert Park Hotel? Looks abit dodgy to me but you may know better!

Thanks for the ideas on Christmas lunch too, it seems way to early to be thinking about this sort of stuff but we know how crazy its going to be due to the cricket (loads of hotels are fully booked already!). I'll email the restaurants you've mentioned.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,431 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Lunch???

I was in Melbourne last week..and with the forum members help I found a few good sites on restaurants.

www.melbournerestaurants.com.au

www.eatability.com.au

www.melbournebestrestaurants.com.au

www.NearlyAllAnswers.com/hats2

www.melbourne247.com.au

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Lunch???

I'm sorry, can't help you with the Albert Park Hotel, the one that comes up for me on search is in StKilda Rd, cnr of Toorak Rd. This is not really Albert Park but it is a good location. Very busy area, so hopefully they will be shielded from the noise of cars and trams.

Eden on the Park is sort of in between South Yarra and StKilda. They really are two seperate areas as far as walking goes, so not sure staying in between will suit what you want. It is only a $5 taxi fare between each but quite a long walk if you are going via shanks pony. 6Andy6 has some good hotel knowledge.

South Yarra, the area you want is between Toorak Road and Commercial Rd, north and south and in the vicinity of Chapel St. east and west. There was someone asking about StKilda accom late last year and I can't remember the name of the small hotel..it was on Fitzroy St...but it seemed a really trendy place to look at. I will see if I can locate the post and the name.

Is there a specific reason you wanted to stay in between StKilda and Sth Yarra..??

Shropshire
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Lunch???

Boyfriend stayed in St Kilda last time and really liked it. Spent alot of time in Chapel street and all round there and thinks thats where we should head to this time. I looked at the saville suites and ' - -- - on chapel'can't remember the first part and didn't bookmark it on computer! Looked nice though - was recommended on an old forum discussion. We're coming over for the cricket but I don't think we need to be really close to the MCG. The Hatton looks ok too. Its hard going trying to book up - you find somewhere then read the reviews on here and change your mind so have to start over!

Shropshire
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Lunch???

With regard to Christmas lunch would you recommend a place called Ezards?? Couple of people have mentioned it?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Lunch???

I don't know whether Ezards do Christmas lunch or not but it is supposed to be a great restaurant. Check out their website.

melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Lunch???

Xmas lunch at The Windsor has 2 options, both expensive but worth it in a grand old hotel in the CBD. One is around $200head and the other about half I think. You need to book now though.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Lunch???

There are several serviced apartments in South Yarra

Medina- www.medinaapartments.com.au

Punt Hill apartments

www.punthill-apartments.com.au

Oakford apartments

www.oakford.com

There is a lovely boutique hotel for around the price your after- the Hatton Hotel

www.hatton.com.au

In St Kilda Rd, justapositioned between Sth Yarra and the city (on tram lines) is the Royce Hotel

www.roycehotels.com.au

Somewhat cheaper is the Saville of South Yarra hotel

saville.com.au

Hope this helps.