We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from melbourne to sydney

Chiclana de la...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
train from melbourne to sydney

Has anyone done this journey? It takes 11 hours from Melbourne to Sydney on the train but costs the same as it would flying. Is it a nice journey with plenty to see or are we as well to fly and have more time in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

I would recommend flying. You can still get a good view from the air and trains are always subject to random delays

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

fly!

the train journey from melbourne to sydney is the pits.

monotonous scenery and slow travel.

for train buffs only.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

"trains are always subject to random delays" ... flying isn't delay free either!

If you are simply tossing up for the sake of it being the same price, fly. Train it if you are going overnight or particularly would like a train journey.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

Unless you really like spending 11 hours sitting in the one place then I would suggest flying. Scenery is pleasant but not stunning..you need to head away from the railway to find that.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

Railway infrastructure in Australia is of a much lower standard, and cannot be compared with, railway infrastructure in Europe. Fly and spend more time in Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

Unlike the others I love train travel.

For a lovely relaxing day spent looking at peaceful countryside and a few smaller mountains, I would say there is nothing better - it sure beats beats spending time at airports.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

"Unlike the others I love train travel." I love train travel, but even I won't argue that unless you are after the enjoyment of a train ride and are simply tossing up between train and plane on comparative costs that the plane is the way to go.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

Fly. The train ride is very long and boring. Not much to see. I used to catch the train when airfares were more expensive

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

You can take your chances with the train. Here's some current pictures of the line. bordermail.com.au/news/…2249821.aspx

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from melbourne to sydney

Fly.......but if you love trains just do it !!