We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

Hi

We're planning to spend 2 nights on Great Ocean Road, 1 night in Lorne and 1 night in Port Campbell between 14th-16th February. Wondering whether I need to prebook my B&B accomodation. I've checked online that they seemed pretty steep... I've tried YHA in Lorne but it's all booked up due to the world life saving game.. any thoughts? Also, are there a lot of mosquitoes during February in Victoria state?

Thank you

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

Chip, I am not sure what you consider a lot of mosquitoes. Down on the coast isn't too bad but it is summer and maybe by UK standards you will find there are plenty. There are far worse areas of Victoria for mossies. They don't really bite me, so I am usually ok but if you are worried about them, buy a small can of aeroguard, it works really well. Will help with the flies as well.

FEb is mid summer and although you are going mid week and out of school holidays, it is still going to be reasonably hard to book, so I think it may be wise to do so. Try www.wotif.com.au for comparable prices, I have always been able to find some decent bargains around Lorne. If you find it hard to get into Port Campbell, try Peterborough you may find some more reasonably priced accom there and it isn't far from P.C. Will

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

You may even want to go slightly inland if oyu wish - away from the sea but not more than 1/2 drive. Places like Timboon come to mind- nice little town althogh for evening meals it may be a choice of the pub and the fish and chip shop.

england
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

Hi Chips0408

I will be travelling the GOR from 25th Feb and have got my accomodation already booked, these are a couple that i have chosen if is would be of any help to you

Ann

http://www.apollobay.nu/seastar/

http://www.port-fairy.com/killara/

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

Thanks everyone- I will try to prebook my accomodations before I go. Sleeping in the car is the last thing I want to do!!

Is Port Fairy worth going? We're driving straight from Melbourne Airport> Lorne (1st night)> Apollo Bay> Port Campbell (2nd night)> Peterborough> Queenscliff (3rd night)> Sorrento> Frankston then metro into Melbourne City Centre. What do you guys think about my plan?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

That sounds like a grand plan Chip. To get from the airport you want to head to Geelong. Start on the Tullamarine Fwy, which is the one main exit from the airport. Not too far down the road you will find the Western Ring Road, the first exit goes the wrong way, go under the Ring Road and the next exit heads in the right direction. Follow the Western Ring Road for about 10 to 15kms before you hit the Westgate Freeway, the two left lanes head to the city, the two right lanes to Geelong. Just a few little tips to consider.

Drive through Geelong and take the Surfcoast Highway to Torquay. In T, you will find the surf museum and a very good surf beach, with a safe, sheltered ocean beach as well. Travel to Anglesea which is about 20mins further on (go via Bells Beach if you want to see the world famous surf beach). Stop at Anglesea and maybe go off the main road 500mts to see the golf course (have their own resident kangaroos on the course). Also consider swimming at Point Roadnight which is just past Anglesea, great surf beach and good rock pools at low tide.

It is only another hour easy travelling to Lorne. Check out the lookout here and also consider the falls walks, might not be much water in Feb but you can swim at Erskine Falls (well you used to be able). Cumberland River might be a nice walk on your way out of Lorne the following day, it is about 10mins out of Lorne towards Wye River.

Time to head out for tea, will mention a few places around Port C and Queenscliff as well at a later date.

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

Thanks Will. What's like driving along Great Ocean Road in the dark? Is it a well litted road?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

Chip, that made me smile. There are no lights on the GOR, it is out in the bush but if the moon is out it would be well lit. The Great Ocean Road is very windy from about 20kms before Lorne. It basically winds right along the coast, dipping to sea level and then rising to higher roads along cliffs. There are plenty of places to pull over for views and passing. After Lorne it is a beautiful drive through places like Wye River and Kennett River where you can stop and swim if you choose on to Apollo Bay. After Apollo Bay the road goes inland through the Otway Ranges and farmland. The windy part can be a little tough on passengers as they may get a bit car sick, so stops at all those small places may be appreciated by others in the vehicle. Being windy and narrow, it can be a bit frustrating if you are driving during the mid day times when there is a lot of traffic, especially slower vehicles like caravans, trucks, farm vehicles etc.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

Just re read that post, probably didn't write it very well. The windy part of the road is about 20kms short of Lorne, through Lorne and right through to Apollo Bay (about an hour direct driving). How do you spell windy as in winding?? reads like windy as in weather :-))Might be better English to write the "winding" part of the Great Ocean Road !!

Just be a little careful if doing it at night and there is no moon, plenty of road signs to warn you of corners etc but if you don't know the road there are rock walls on one side and long drops on the other.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

When in Port Campbell there is a great walk you can do on the far side of the little bay. P.C is very small and has a beautiful little bay, on the far side you will see a small creek and you jump over that and head out on the walk. We actually ran it when we were down but it is well worth doing, especially if you want to get a little exercise. At dusk you can go to London Bridge (about 5mins by car west of P.C) where you can watch the penguins come in. This is not like Phillip Island which has floodlights and seating. London Bridge is very natural and you have to view from viewing platforms (you can't get down to the beach). They come in right at dusk (nightfall), so it is an eye strain but I always take visitors down there.

At Queenscliff head out to Point Lonsdale and the lookout over Port Phillip Heads. This piece of water is the extremely dangerous entrance to Port Phillip Bay and Melbourne and the site of many past shipwrecks.

After getting off the ferry at Sorrento, head up the beach road through all the seaside resorts of Rye, Rosebud, Dromana till you get to a hill called Arthurs Seat. Head up here for a great view. There used to be a chairlift that closed, reopened and I am not sure now if it is still open (do any other Melb folks know if it is still operating??)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes on Great Ocean Road

You could try a cabin at the Cumberland River Holiday Park. Website

http://www.cumberlandriver.com.au/index.html

It's in a great spot just past Lorne. It's right on the river with the beach just across the road. The cabins are simple, but have all the basics (except bedding)so you can self cater if you want.

There are some great walks you can do along the river to various waterfalls with varying degrees of difficulty and length. You can also expect to see quite a bit of wildlife. We saw lots of Kangaroos and Kookaburras. Not so welcome are the fox's - they chomped up some leather shoes left out for the night!