We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne for 3 days

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Melbourne for 3 days

I'm a newbie and I'm just starting my research.. so it'd be great if you experts out there can give me some pointers.

I will be in Melbourne in mid-Nov. My red-eye flight arrives Melb at 7am in the morning of the 14th, and I'm flying out to on the 17th -- so that leaves me 3 full days in Melb.

I would like to go to the following places:

1. Phillip Island

2. GOR (mainly want to see the 12 Apostles. Can it be a day trip?)

3. Visit some wineries

4. Spend a day in the city

While I know 1, 2 & 3 can be a day trip on their own, however, I do want to spend at least a day in the city. How should i plan my 3 days? Is there a way that I can squeeze them all in the 72 hours in Melb? If I must give up any of them, which one is the least worthwhile to go?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Kero

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne for 3 days

I really think that's an impossible question. It's going to have to be one your own interests. One of the options will really need to go. They're all great things to do.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne for 3 days

If you are including a full day as the 14th then 2 is impossible as by the time you go to your hotel, check in etc and then pick up a car (if you drive) a quarter of the day would be over. If you are doing a tour then choice 2 would have left - choice 1 I think the tours usually occur/leave in the afternoon to visit the penguins (which is there may reason to go) so you may be able to book that as soon as you land and get into the city, wander around and get on the tour that afternoon. Choice 2 is really a very full day to see anything and would best be for the middle of the trip. I would not worry about option 3 - because a lot of the decent wineries close to the city( Yarra Valley) is in the opposite direction to 1 & 2. Then that would leave you the city to explore on the last day and quietly prepare for moving on.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne for 3 days

Wow! You're trying to fit a lot into three days...As to which one to leave out, it's really up to you and what your interests are. Personally, I'd drop the wineries (but then, I'm not really a winery person <g>). I don't think I'd be planning to do the Great Ocean Road *and* Phillip Island - that's rather a lot of driving.

Be aware that Tullamarine Airport isn't right in Melbourne itself (it's not *that* far away - but you'll want to take that into account when you make your plans for the first day.

With such a short stay, my recommendation would be to spend 2 of the days available in Melbourne itself (there's plenty to do, including some very beautiful parks and gardens), and maybe use the other day for a full day trip further out to see the scenery/wildlife.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne for 3 days

Hi

I have just had a couple of friends stay with me who are from France so I have been doing quite a few touristy things of late.

They loved the wineries in the Yarra Valley. It is only about an hour from the city and there are heaps dotted around the valley. There are tours that run daily - I saw one that was particularly good that included transportation to Healesville Sanctuary (a zoo with native animals), lunch and visits to two wineries for only $60.

I am not a big fan of Phillip Island myself. The penguins are the attraction but if you were to see those you would have to drive back in to the city late or stay over there and head back into the city the next morning.

Great Ocean Road is spectacular but to get to the Apostles is a definite over nighter.

If you go into Federation Square on your first day there is an information centre that has heaps of info about what to do.

Hope this helps!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne for 3 days

Thank you all so much for your replies! They are all so helpful!

I just realized that I have forgotten to mention that I'm going to Sydney afterwards. So some of my friends are suggesting that I drop Yarra Valley and just go to Hunter Valley's wineries instead.

Now I'm thinking maybe I will stay in the City for the first day and the morning of the second day. Join one of those tours that take you to see the penguins/wildlife in the afternoon. Then leaving GOR for the last day before we fly out to Sydney.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne for 3 days

Kero

Just prepare yourself the Great Ocean Road, from Melbourne and back in one day, is a big call. If you want to get to the sites like the 12 Apostles it would be about a 3.5 hour drive from Melbourne.

It's not impossible, but it would be a long day and you wouldn't really get a chance to explore the beach towns or sites.

Have fun when you get here!