We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne with a 4 yr old - Activities Suggestions Please!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne with a 4 yr old - Activities Suggestions Please!

Hi I am a new member who is visiting Melbourne next week with my daughter and her 4 yr old. My daughter is attending a training course for 3 days and I will be the primary carer of my grandaughter for that period. I am looking for suggestions on where I can take her/what to do. We visited Melbourne last year and did the zoo & Luna Park so would like to do something different this time.

Thanks in Advance

dlgshopper50

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne with a 4 yr old - Activities Suggestions Please!

the museum is good for kids.... and as you are from brisbane (and our government won't allow us to keep them) go to one of the big pet stores and play with the bunnies!!! (that was one of my favourite things as a little kid.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne with a 4 yr old - Activities Suggestions Please!

Try the Scienceworks museum on the Yarra in Spotswood or somewhere down there - you can get a ferry down and back (but I think on weekends only). Look up on the net. Maybe a day trip up to Healesville Sanctuary or a ride on Puffing Billy steam train (once again options m,aybe limited if it is a weekday out of school holidays).

Mentioned in this post
Healesville Sanctuary
Healesville Sanctuary
1,669 Reviews
Healesville, Australia
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne with a 4 yr old - Activities Suggestions Please!

The Melbourne Aquarium is good and very kid-friendly. As someone else mentioned, Puffing Billy is very popular (but quite expensive). Healesville Sanctuary is good, particularly if your grand-daughter likes animals. Another option would be a little nature park called Bimbimbi (out past Gembrook in the Dandenong Ranges) - could be quite a long drive, depending on where you are staying, but you could make day trip & take a picnic; there are usually animals here that you can pat and interact with (often including an orphaned wombat, wallaby, etc, that you can feed if you get there at the right time).

Mentioned in this post
Healesville Sanctuary
Healesville Sanctuary
1,669 Reviews
Healesville, Australia
Dandenong Ranges
Dandenong Ranges
1,048 Reviews
Dandenong, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
lzb
melbourne
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne with a 4 yr old - Activities Suggestions Please!

If the weather is good, pack a picnic and catch a tram to Albert Park in South Melbourne and visit the big wooden community playground (next to the Aquatic Centre) and Albert Park Lake.

The museum includes a fun children's section and kids love the "bugs alive" display.

Mentioned in this post
Albert Park
Albert Park
373 Reviews
Albert Park, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia