We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to F1 in March-April 2006...need suggestions on...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Going to F1 in March-April 2006...need suggestions on...

Going to the F1 race in 2006 and trying to decide on a series of hotels within my price range: Raddison Flagstaff, Novetel or St. Kilda. The first two are little farther 4-5 KM (and a little cheaper, too) than St. Kilda, which I read is only .5 km away from Albert Park. Will taking the tram from the Raddison and Novetel be worst than walking the .5 km. And will these hotels be far from the race activities?

I'm only going to be there for the 4-day race activities and then trying to head north for some scuba diving afterward.

Also, I read that Melborne Cricket Ground is the place to watch Australian Rules Football? Will the season have started already and do you think there will be a game played during race weekend?

Cheers,

-Alan

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to F1 in March-April 2006...need suggestions on...

Alan, the MCG is indeed the place to watch the footy here in Aus but I don't think you will see it there that early in the year. Don't quote me on this but the Commonwealth Games finish just before the GP and the MCG will be the venue for all the track and field and for the opening and closing ceremonies. Telstra Stadium is the other main ground in Melb and there may be some games on there during your visit. The season normally starts the last week in March but might be a week later next year due to all the extra activities in Melb.

Stay in the city for sure, you are more central to everywhere and the tram ride to the GP is short and plenty of fun. You can even walk there in 20mins, plenty of pubs on the way to call in for a beer if it is hot. Keep in touch and we can let you know what AFL games will be on during your visit. The team to watch is Essendon :-)) I just heard on the news that the Kangaroos and the Swans are going to play a pre season game somewhere near you, didn't catch the town name but I think it was L.A during Australia Week. Keep an eye out for that one. If you want to check up info on the footy, go to www.afl.com.au

Will

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to F1 in March-April 2006...need suggestions on...

Getting the to GP from the city is absolutely really easy and not far at all..a stones throw away.

But St Kilda is the 'place to be' if you really want to get into GP activity. St Kilda has the night life, restaurants and a great ambience ...especially during the GP. On the last night of the GP St Kilda Literally rocks with revellers of all ages, and its heaps of fun. If the weather is nice and warm, you also have the beach to stroll along.

The GP Track is 1-2 km from the city.

St Kilda is 1 - 2km from the track.

So all of it is pretty much together and easy to access regardless of which of the two you stay at.