We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

Anyone been to both? Which island is more worthy to visit?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

I have not been to Kangaroo Island but I really like Philip Island.

It might be worth telling everyone how long you intend to stay at each to get the answers you need, because often the experience is different accordingly.

It would also help if you told us what month you would be trravelling as well. For example, you won't get the special penguin experience at Philip Island if you are going in Winter.

Lastly, if you tell us what sort of things you are looking for in your holiday, that would also help. If its relaxation, I'd go to the Whitcundays...Hamilton Island, DayDream Island, Hayman Island...omr one of many more. Also of them are on 3 hours away if you manage to book early enough to get a direct flight.

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

Going in mid-Sep. Thinking of travelling from Melbourne to Adelaide. I've only 8 days though. Like to see a variety of things. Since both islands are known for their wildlife, want to choose only one island to visit.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

Kangaroo Island is probably more a wildlife island than PI. PI is based around penguins, sharks, surfing and the motor bike track. I actually surf a fair bit down on the island and it is a great place to visit for a day, you wouldn't be able to swim in Sept unless you had a wetsuit as the water will probably be around 12 to 14C. I could spend all day there easily, watching the surf at the different spots, walking the ocean track around the Nobbies, viewing Seal Rock and looking for those big fins (this is White Pointer territory).

The drive from Melb to Adelaide is a really good one if you have 3 or 4 days min, so let us know if you want to do that and we can give you more details.

South Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

I've not been to Phillip Island but my impression is that it doesn't have the wildlife variety of Kangaroo Island, nor does it have as much wilderness or rugged coastline. KI is quite exposed to the southern ocean and scenically spectacular with some historically very interesting lighthouses. There's no doubting Phillip Island is attractive, though it's best known nationally for the little penguins and motor cycle races.

KI also has the penguins, as well as the fabulous sea lion colony at Seal Bay (you can take guided walks among the animals on the beach), New Zealand fur seals at Cape du Couedic, kangaroos, wallabies and koalas at places like Flinders Chase National Park, echidnas and much birdlife. About one-third of the island is still natural bushland.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

You are correct in that appraisal, PI is definitely a little surfing island, with some native wildlife but on the whole it is mainly settled with one main town, Cowes and then lots of little holiday homes and farms. Scenic coastline is a debatable subject, KI is wild and untamed, PI is home to some great beaches with beautiful surf breaks, they range from long stretches of beach and big surf at Woolamai, rugged rocky breaks along the coast from Wool to the Nobbies. More sheltered ocean breaks around near Flynns and Shelley Beach and the flat water on the protected side of Cowes.

So I guess the answer lies in what you want out of your island visit. The more natural and wildlife populated Kangaroo Island, or the more populated, surfing hub of Phillip Island, still plenty of wildlife to see mind you but you can also add nice coffee shops, bakeries, pubs and restaurants on to your list.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
118 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

I have been to both islands.

on K.I. we did not get to see any penguins. We were explained that there just weren't any there at that time (February). But we saw a few kangaroos, seals, koalas, birds... we enjoyed the island very much.

On P.I. we enjoyed the Koala Conservation Camp, and the penguins. I think though if I had to choose, I would go to K.I. as this island offers much more variety, even though we missed the penguins. If the penguins are an absolute priority for you, then the choice gets a little harder...

The best place for kangaroos though was Halls Gap in the Grampians NP. This is also on your way, can highly recommend this place.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kangaroo Island (SA) vs Philip Island (Vic)

As per previous posts, both islands have their good points. For the ULTIMATE penguin experience you should go to phillip island and take the ultimate tour - an intimate up close and personal experience with only 10 participants and a ranger to provide commentary. The little penguins walk literally rigth past you (within centimeters). There is not other wirldlife experience with penguins like this. There are extensive bird-watching facilities on PI, an opportunity to be face to face with Koalas, the largest fur seal colony in the southern hemisphere, miles of pristine sandy beaches and rugged coastline - all just 2 hours drive from Melbourne...

See www.penguins.org.au for info on the Phillip Island Nature Park...