We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Weather

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Weather

hey, advice needed re:melbourne's weather, have been travellin round SE Asia for past 2 months, and arrived in Perth a week ago, dont really like it, its very small and a little too quiet, however weather is quite good, bout 16c, thinkin of headin to melbourne next week (thats where my ongoin ticket is to, and cant afford to buy a new ticket to a diff destination) ....wud i be insane to travel to mel in winter, is it freezing there? Help!!

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Weather

It's cold but not freezing and is likely to remain so for a few weeks yet, we just got back from US/UK on Wednesday and just feel adjusted to the much cooler weather today. Winter in Melb is much cooler than Perth, but so is the city!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Weather

Shinny, there is so much to do in Melb inside, why worry about the weather. It really isn't that much colder than Perth, I haven't had to put a jacket on yet all winter. Mon to Wed next week are looking at fine sunny days and very cold, still nights before some bleaker weather. I am playing football tomorrow, 12C, hail, snow and cold winds....brrrr....Wonder if drron will read this, he would love to see that :-))

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Weather

I am operating under the assumption that it can't be THAT cold in Melbourne. The Insight Guide shows palm trees in front of the Windsor. On the other hand, Melbourne also has penguins. Go figure.

I'm coming on July 25th (or, 25 July, if you prefer). I'm assuming "brisk" and "damp," maybe even "bracing." But I'm also assuming I won't encounter "bone-chilling," "snot-freezing" or "Antarctic" and am not dressing for it. Right?

PHOENIX
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Weather

Not, it is not like a Canadian winter at all. Don't worry! The worst thing I think about the weather here is the slightly rainy, drizzly days where you don't feel like getting out of bed at all.

Bring a jacket - even a hat if your head gets cold and you'll be fine.

Melbourne is MUCH better than Perth but IMO, the more interesting things are outside the city. So get out there.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Weather

AMA, you are pretty well on the mark, we will get bone chilling 2 or 3 times a winter but is usually to do with the freezing wind rather than very low temps. It rarely gets under 12C day time temps. As I said earlier, I haven't put a jacket on yet this winter although it is going to be very cold tomorrow. Are you still planning to do the Capitol Trail ride...?? Will

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Weather

I am absolutely planning on the Capital City ride, regardless of the weather. I did the locally famous Seattle-to-Portland ride in wretched so-called "summer" weather and loved every minute of it (in retrospect).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Weather

Also, Will, I forwarded your point-by-point guide to the Capital City trail to a former co-worker of my wife's who recently moved from LA to Melbourne. He complained that he could never figure out the Capital City route. He's coming in from Ringwood (wherever that is) to do the route with me before he goes to work. So your description of the route is now locally utilized as well.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Weather

How does that saying go, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" :-))

I will be interested to hear how you both fare. If you want to get further info or a contact number for emergencies (getting lost etc), you can contact me at willjnino@yahoo.com.au.