We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

melbourne in August?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cambridge, england
Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
melbourne in August?

hi

what will the weather be like in AUgust in Melbourne?

What could we do in Melbourne for 3 days?

any advice gratefully received!

thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: melbourne in August?

Melbourne's weather is famous for being changeable. In August, it could be wet but Melbourne's experienced drought for the past few years so it may not rain too much.

Average temperatures and historical info can be found here:

www.bom.gov.au

I suggest you get a couple of guidebooks to read up on Melbourne and then post back with some more specific info, or tell us a little about what your interests are to provide you with better advice.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: melbourne in August?

I'm tipping it will be a bit chilly, mind you nothing you guys are used to. At that time of year there's still lots of options for you. If your in town for a weekend you could see what Aussie Rules footy is all about. I'm a big fan of the city in winter, it has a totally different feel. The only thing you may miss out on is that the St. Kilda area may be a little quieter as its a beachside suburb. As Kate said, post back and indicate what you like to do.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: melbourne in August?

I agree with Aussieinengland...the city is fantastic in Winter...just cold! As long as you're rugged up it can be a great time to visit.

It looks very beautiful on an overcast or foggy day IMO. And a good soaking can have it coming up a treat too though they are few and far between lately (today it is at last! Yay!).

Some facts for you: April has been bloody freezing after March being bloody hot, but lowest rainfall in 11 years. Go figure.

In the city it is quite possible to travel one end of the CBD to the other almost entirely indoors using our arcades. Pretty handy to know if it's bucketing down :-)

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: melbourne in August?

For things to do, in case you haven't already found it, see:

http://www.visitmelbourne.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
370 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: melbourne in August?

It will be cold,

I would recommend you go to the Eureka tower near Southbank you will see the best views in Melbourne

maybe go on a bus tour to the great ocean rd.

Then check out the factory outlets at Spencer St railway station for some great shopping or even the Victoria Market,

hop on one of the free Maroon colored City Circle trams it will circle around the city you can get on and off at various places.

6. Re: melbourne in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2009