We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I trying to do to much?

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Am I trying to do to much?

Hello - I have a general idea of what my husband and I plan to do while visiting Melbourne from 20-April through 22-April, but I need to know if we are trying to do too much. We may never get the chance to return to this area and we want to take in as many experiences as we can. The only thing set so far is our hotel - the Marriott for all 3 nights. Here is my plan:

20-April - arrive 8 am, drop off bags at the hotel (I assume the Skybus is the way to go for 2 people?)

-walk around/get lunch/buy AFL tickets

-Go to AFL game at MCG at 1:10 pm

-If possible go to Penguin Parade this night (I can't find a recommendation for a good tour bus or way to go out to Phillip Island - looking for a good company, not sure what time they leave)

21-April - Take Day Tour with AAT Kings on GOR

22-April - Spend day exploring Melbourne sights and maybe do penguins this night if we can't make it Sunday

So - does this seem like too much and do you have a recommended bus or other way (no car rental) to Phillip Island and the Penguins specifically? Thanks!

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

I see on the AAT Kings website that they have a Penguins only tour that leaves at 3:00pm - how long will the AFL game take? MAybe we would leave that early?

Also, is the Koala Sanctuary worth it? That would take up a lot more time and we will be going to a zoo in Sydney later in the trip as well as the wildlife sanctuary in Port Douglas.

Thanks again for all the help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

Skybus probably is the way to go for 2 people. It's about $15 p/p and a cab from the airport to the Marriott will cost around $50.

From Southern Cross Station, where the Skybus drops you, you can catch the city loop train to Melbourne Central station which is not far from the Marriott. (I am not sure how the Skybus hotel drop-off buses work, but you could look into this too).

An AFL game takes a little over 3 hours, so I don't think you'd be able to do penguin parade on the same day as the footy. Especially given you'd need to leave the MCG in order to get to the place the tour leaves.

You'll be able to buy your tickets at the MCG as the Melbourne/Carlton game won't be a sellout.

Without a hire car, you will have to take a tour to the penguin parade. It isn't easily accessible by public transport as it's in the 'country'. The 2 biggest tour companies are AAT Kings and Australian Pacific Tours (APT). I can't comment on their tours though as I've never done them.

I wouldn't bother with the koala sanctuary given you'll get the chance to see the wildlife later in the trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

Hi,

I just have 2 suggestions/comments (I have no idea re: AFL footy so I readily defer to kate's knowledge on that one!).

With regards to getting to your hotel.

I don't believe the Marriot provides a shuttle so as kate suggested your best bet is to catch a 'loop' train from Southern Cross when you alight the Skybus. However I personally believe that Parliament Station (Lonsdale Street Exit) is a much better bet than getting off a Melbourne Central Station. For one it is closer, and the walk to the hotel (one city block) is all down hill; about 400 metres (5 minutes).

Re: koalas. You can see them at any of your destinations but bare in mind that Southern koalas (due to our climate) are considerably bigger and furrier than their northern cousins. Just something to consider ;-)

HTH

adelaide

Melbourne
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

With the game starting at 1:10 you might just be a chance. IS there any chance of you hiring a car? I think that would be your best bet. The game will probably finish at about 4. I think the best way to do it would be to hire a car, if you can organise yourself well you could be on the island by 6-6:30, which, at that time of year, is probably about the time the penguins would be coming in.

But you must keep in mind that it will be a mad dash.

Apart from that i think your itinery looks pretty good.

Enjoy.

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it! I think we will leave the penguins till 22-April evening and we will take the tour bus. I'm too nervous to drive on the left in a big city like Melbourne. . . we will probably do it at Ayres Rock, but being in traffic scares me!

Thanks again! Can't wait to be there!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

Yeah fair enough. One piece of advice, it will be cold down at the penguins. Damn cold! I was there in march and i couldn't believe how cold it was. So rug up, as much as you possibly can!

Also, enjoy the footy! Good to see that some internationals want to go to the footy, i think you'll enjoy it! I took a couple of german girls to a game earlier in the year and they really enjoyed the spectacle (or maybe just the short shorts), and it should be a close game! The battle of the spoon!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

checkout websites www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/greeter or www.visitvictoria.com. I think your idea of a footy game at MCG for Sat. is great ps if you have time before the game & not too tired can get a tram to Bridge St Richmond (factory outlets) then casually walk to MCG, after the game (4.00pm) can walk back into town via Botanical Gardens or go back up Bridge St richmond (need to use tram) lots & lots of Vietnamese Restaurants for Sat. night dinner (cheap & good). Sunday Penguin Parade ps see if there is a tour of Mornington Peninsular combined with Penguin Parade. Monday tour of GOR. Be good if you can visit melb Zoo (easy walking & great displays) imo better than Sydney Zoo too hilly. Oh & to be a true Aussie you must have a hot meat pie with dead horse (tomatoe sauce or ketchup) at the footy. Pity Sydney Swans & Collingwood are not on together that day you probably would have had a very large crowd.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

"up Bridge St richmond (need to use tram) lots & lots of Vietnamese Restaurants for Sat. night dinner (cheap & good"

Bridge road has a fair wack of restaurants - one or two only are vietnamese tho (others are indian, modern, funky, pubs, etc etc). However, most Viet restaurants are on Victoria street which is a fair distance from Bridge rd (about 2 klms).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
370 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

no you are not doing too much, since you are only going for a few days I would make the most of it, it's great that you are going to a football game a real aussie tradition, as one of the other posters have mentioned make sure you buy a meat pie with sauce then you can say you have eaten the aussie staple.

Have a great trip

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I trying to do to much?

Hello DaccaDo,

The Skybus will transfer you to a smaller bus when you reach Southern Cross Station bus terminal and deliver you to your hotel at no extra cost. Here is the page on their site -

http://www.skybus.com.au/service.php