We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalon or Tullamarine

Scotland
Level Contributor
98 posts
22 reviews
Avalon or Tullamarine

Considering booking a cheaper flight from Avalon airport to Sydney rather than use Tullamarine. Is this going to cause me more difficulties/cost in getting to the airport from the city centre on a Sunday morning. Catching a 9.45am flight with Jetstar.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

Avalon is about 50 minutes away driving from city, while Tulla is about 20min - both in light traffic. I think there is a bus to Avalon - for gods sake don't get a taxi, it would cost a fortune.

So I guess it depends on how much you are saving on the flight.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
2. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

Hello Graham5419,

How much cheaper? It would need to be quite a bit to be worth it, given the greater distance to Avalon. And you will need to be up considerably earlier for a flight from there, as against Tullamarine. Here are the two websites so you can make an informed choice -

http://www.skybus.com.au/

www.sunbusaustralia.com.au/about_avalon.shtml

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

Additionally, Jetstar are absolutely unforgiving if you are a few minutes late inside the "Must check in at leat 30 mins prior to boarding" requirement.

Once you factor in the extra road travel cost and driving time, it is hardly worth it to go to Avalon.

Ballarat
Level Contributor
47 posts
115 reviews
4. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

Tullmarine without question.....

from somone in the aviation industry.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

All I can say is that you get what you pay for. Avalon is a pain to get to and will cost you in time and money to get there. Spend a couple of extra bucks on the flight and leave from Tullamarine. It's a lot easier.

Inverleigh, Vic
1 post
6. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

Avalon is really Geelong Airport and there is a shuttle from Avalon to Geelong and the Great Ocean Road.

There is no transport from Avalon to Melbourne. To get to Melbourne you have to take the shuttle to Geelong and then train to Melbourne or Gull Bus to Tullamarine.

Geelong...
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

Sunbus actually run a transport and proclaim to meet every flight, so cost wise it isn't a lot more expensive if the bus can get you to where you want to go BUT the time factor doesn't seem worth it to me, especially when fares are so cheap and comparable.

I always fly Virgin to Sydney and find they have the best fares for most routes I am looking for (don't fly that often, so no expert). I won't fly Jetstar anyway, they take too many short cuts for my liking with maintenance and even with the safety conditions at Avalon but that is a personal preference.

8. Re: Avalon or Tullamarine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 17, 2009