We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

melbourne,sydney and brisbame

ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
melbourne,sydney and brisbame

hi all,

My wife and i are arriving in melbourne on 14th decemeber. This is our 1st visit to australia. I have no planned iterineray as of yet. I'm going to sydney for christmas to meet up with family and flying home out of brisbane on 10th of january. Any suggestions for must do things or places to see.

is it worth going to ayers rock?

any suggestions are welcome and thanks for your time and help.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

A trip to Uluru is always worthwhile but maybe not in the middle of our summer as it is scorching at this time of year (45 degrees Celsius). Uluru will be the same distance from most of the major cities you are visiting (roughly 2000km as the crow flies or the same distance from Ireland to the Polish Ukranian Border.)

P.S Uluru is the traditional name for Ayres Rock

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,071 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

Okay, a few suggestions to help you get the most out of this.

You've posted in the Melbourne forum but it seems you want broader info, Uluru etc. First you could try browsing the relevant forums to see what's been said before, use the search function, also look at GoLists (on the left of the page).

Then when you have picked up a few ideas you could post on the relevant forums for advice to help you refine your itinerary, including relevant details like your interests, budget, whether you will be hiring a car or using public transport, also sometimes level of fitness.

We were in Victoria last year and I've posted many times about the Great Ocean Road. I would be happy to post again, tailoring my answer to your needs, but at the moment I don't have enough to go on. For me, if you're in Melbourne and have the time to do an overnight trip, then GOR is a must-see. For people who appreciate wonderful scenery and have at least two days to spare and will have their own transport, I highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,111 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

Hi,

if you're intending on flying to Uluru from Melb - and you didn't know already - then the flight time is less than 3 hours. A very easy and straightforward jaunt. Hot hot hot but definately worth it...if you're interested to begin with. Are you? :-)

btw You could *possibly* get away with staying only the 1 night depending on the flight times...it would be sensible to fly out of Melb and back into Syd from Uluru. Flight times are approximately the same (3 hrs)...and you need to get to Syd anyway so it'd make sense to do it that way IMHO.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,753 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

Also agree with other posts......Uluru is certainly worth seeing, but it will be HOT so I would just go for 24hrs (you get to see everything).

I also agree with Adelaide - fly Melb - Ayres Rock

Ayres Rock - Sydney

So my itinerary would go something like this >

Fly into Melb 14th Dec.

Explore Melbourne - 3 days

Hire a car or do a tour to the Great Ocean Road.- 4 days

Fly Mel to Ayres Rock - 1day/night

Fly Ayres Rock to Sydney (for xmas) - Sydney - 4 days

Hire a car and drive the Coastal route to Brisbane.

Stop Port Macqaurie/ Byron Bay and the Gold Coast. - 5 days

Take the ferry out to Moreton Island - stay 2 days.

Sunshine Coast - 3 days

Brisbane - 2days

All acommodation will have to be booked in advance, as this time of the year, is our very busy holiday season.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne Airport
Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Byron Shire, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,753 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

oops, I forgot to mention. You could also just drive the GOR to Adelaide from Melb. Then Fly Adelaide to Ayres Rock - Sydney.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

ellemay, thats great.

thanks very much. is it too much to try and squeeze in cairns? how far/long is the drive from sydney to brisbane? I like the idea of doing the GOR and flying out of adelaide. Thanks

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

06, just to give you another viewpoint.....I wouldn't go to Uluru or anywhere in central Australia in December. I have an Irish background and don't like the extreme heat and that is what it is, very hot, not to mention the thousand flies that will be hitching a ride on your back and the errant ones trying to fly up your nose :-)).

You will be here at a very busy time of year, especially after about the 20th of December, so be prepared for summer holiday crowds in most places you go.

You don' t mention your likes or dislikes, do you want physical, beach, swimming, surf, museums, restaurants, etc. This sort of info would give us a better indication of what places may attract. If it were me, I would consider places like the Southern NSW coast, Wilsons Promontory, Great Ocean Road, Blue Mountains...to name a few.

Mentioned in this post
Uluru
Uluru
3,635 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

thanks willnino,

we both enjoy sports and activity. We love scenery and restuarants with good food. we like to treat ourselves. i wouldn't exactly enjoy lying around a beach but i do appreciate the scencery associated with them. thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

The Great Ocean Road would be good to visit. You will have the scenery and there are some lovely places to eat along the way. Weather should be good at that time of year too. Spend a few days in Melbourne then perhaps drive down the Great Ocean Road stopping in places such as Lorne, Apollo Bay, Port Fairy, the twelve apostles. Before Christmas you should be able to get some accommodation but it will be starting to get busy.

Some good information at:

http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/

Mentioned in this post
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,111 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Fairy
Port Fairy
Victoria, Australia
10. Re: melbourne,sydney and brisbame

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 28, 2009