We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Melbourne to Sydney

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive Melbourne to Sydney

Hi

Wondering if anybody would have any advice pleaseeee?

Im heading over to Oz in March for a wedding and thinking of driving from Mel- Syd.

I have been lucky enough to have driven syd - cairns twice but never Mel - Syd.

Im looking to find out the best places to visit on the way up the coast.

We have about 9 days so if you had the chance again were would you stop to visit, stay over, beaches, towns, pubs , restaurant.

Slainte

Adam

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Melbourne to Sydney

There have been heaps of threads on this question and also an inside page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3069/Austral…

My fave stops are Mallacoota, Narooma, Mollymook

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Melbourne to Sydney

Read this Inside page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c6395/Austral…

This topic has also been dicussed in depth over the last week or so at

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k1509…

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Melbourne to Sydney

Do you want to do anything water related...?? swim, surf, paddle, ski, fish, etc...there are so many great locations on this drive if you want to do any of the above.

If it were me, i would do it something like this.

1 or 2 nights at Wilsons Promontory

1 night at Mallacoota

2 nights at Tathra, Narooma or Pambula

1 night at Canberra

2 nights at Jervis Bay

There are so many places to see along the way, Buchan Caves in Victoria, kangaroos at Pambula beach, great pub in Tathra, war museum in Canberra, surf kayak in Jervis Bay....the list goes on.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Melbourne to Sydney

Hello adz82,

Here is an alternative way to give a contrast between our high country and the NSW coast, and to assist you, here is the Visit Victoria website, then under Maps click on Route Planner -

http://visitvictoria.com.au/

My suggestion is - north from Melbourne on the Hume Freeway - take the Snow Road just south of Wangaratta leading to a fab gourmet region around Millawa to Beechworth - to the Murray Valley Highway east of Wodonga - Corryong - Khancoban and the Alpine Way - Thredbo and the ski lift from where you can walk to the top of Mt Kosciusko ( in what other country of the world can you take a easy walk to the top of the highest mountain, with magnificent views all the way?) - Jindabyne, Cooma (here you must make a choice, do you go north to Canberra then east to the coast just north of Batemans Bay via Braidwood, or do you head southeast then east to the coast via Bega, actually hitting the coast at Narooma?) - then up the coast to Sydney. The NSW coast is lovely virtually all the way, as is Victoria's coast, but the Princes Highway east from Melbourne to the NSW border seldom touches the coast, unless you keep taking side trips. Lakes Entrance is the exception.

The most direct route of course is just to stick to the Hume Freeway, inland all the way to Sydney, but is by far the least varied. Your choice really comes down to the time available and your personal interests.

5. Re: Drive Melbourne to Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 11, 2009