We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

London
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

We are Greek Cypriot from London - visiting Melbourne as part of our honeymoon soon. How do we go the Greek thing?? Any streets, concerts, restaurants etc to find?

Thanks!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

Intersection of Lonsdale Street & Russell Street iin the city is the main Greek area of Melbourne. Quite a few Greek Restaurants and businesses in that area. Swan Street in Richmond (10 minutes from the city) also has a grouping of Greek Rest. Apart fom that there are excellent Greek restaurants all over the city and suburbs, thanks to the huge number of Greek migrants who have moved to Melbourne over the years.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

There are various ethnic clubs where I live so I assumed there would also be in Melbourne so I googled. I found this website which may be useful ...www.greekcity.com.au

I had a quick look and a club was mentioned but I couldn't see an address. There is a forum though so I'm sure you'll be able to get some help there. Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

just go to Richmond.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

Richmond? Em...I think you're getting your ethnic groups confused!!!...thats Vietnamese (Victoria Street)...there's only a few souvlaki joints in Richmond so I dont think that counts.

Lonsdale Street *is* the iconic Greek street in Melbourn as AJ mentioned...Stalactities open 24 hours a day... Melbourne has the 2nd largest Greek population outside of Greece!...you might also think about a visit to Oakleigh (the Greek PM recently visisted there- you may have seen it on TV?) as this is the suburbian 'home' to a lot of Greek cafes/cake shops/delis.

My fave Greek eatery is the very kitsch "Village Square Greek Tavern" in Heidelberg about 25 mins drive out of CBD. Fake polystyrene 'buildings' on the wall, clothes hanging from washing lines, lanterns glowing in the dark...the best taramasalata, octopus, lemon baked potatoes and fetta anywhere! Keftedes aint bad either.. ;-)

BTW best spanokopita and tiropita you'll find at Mellisa cake shop High Street Northcote/Thornbury if you happen to be that way...they bake it fresh about 5 times a day cos it's so popular...I drive 30 mins to get it! Yum! They also have outler in Collingwood's Smith Street about 5 mins from CBD by car but not as good IMO.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

if you are looking for something in the cbd you will love kri kri in little bourke street-great atmosphere and food!!!

i'll be there again in 2 weeks cant wait!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

Adelaide, when you travel across to High St, you should stop in at Station St, Fairfield....some of the best eateries in the burbs. LC, there is a huge Greek influence in Station St, actually it is like Greek meeting Italian. Stronger Greek influence though with a number of cafe's and one of the best new Greek restaurants in Melbourne. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of it but it is easy to find, right next to the small post office.

Fairfield is a strip shop area and easy to cover all the shops in a short time (about 800 metres of shops on both sides of the road). you can get there by train in 15mins from the CBD or about 20 dollars by taxi (10mins).

Another area that is very close to the city is in Johnston St, Collingwood. About 400metres east of Hoddle St are a couple of very well established Greek restaurants.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

Thanks for the tip will...I used to live off Station street so ofcourse they open up all these great restaurants when I no longer call it home...dammit!

oh...londoncouple...if you decide to 'do' any of the Great Oceaon Road you will find the bestest regional Greek restaurant (with views to die for) at Skenes Creek near Lorne. Chris' at Beacon Point its called. Fresh lobsters from Apollo Bay...amazing! They have accomodation too but Ive not stayed there so cant offer any advice on that. If you go ask for window seat...advise its for your honeymoon...may get extra thrown in too!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

Would definitely support Adelaide's recommendation on the Great Ocean Road about Chris's at Beacon Point - the view is spectacular and the food good as well. I have always wanted to stay there, but it hasn't fitted in with the plans. The same owner also has a greek cafe in Lorne which is also nice (also on GOR)

In Melbourne itself as others have said Lonsdale St is the Greek area, however there is also a more upmarket restraunt which is modern Greek called the Press Club on Flinders St (cnr Exhibition) which is definitely worth a visit (website below)

http://www.thepressclub.com.au/

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

just go to Richmond?

Whats overly greek about Richmond (yes some might live there but I wouldnt say its overly greek - )

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to do the Greek thing in Melbourne?

Here's a list of them for you to peruse Londoncouple...

yourrestaurants.com.au/cuisines/…

Too bad you'll not be here during the Antipodes Festival which closes (seemingly) half of Melbournes CBD and has a whole heap of the Melb Greek community dancing like crazy people all over Lonsdale Street! How do you say it? Hoopah!!!