We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

England
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

I am a qualified nurse with 20 yrs experience in renal and cardiology. My family and i are thinking of emigrating to Australia. Would I find work easily? My husband is a firefighter with 19 yrs experience would he be able to get a job as a firefighter? or would he need a change of career?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,378 posts
1,537 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

I highly suggest you place this on Melb forum.......just search for Wilino......he will give you the best advice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

I think will must be at the snow...haven't seen sight nor sound of him for ages.

Anyway, in short, as a nurse you will absolutely be able to get work...my SIL is a nurse...she's changed jobs 3 times in the past 18 mths to find soemthing that suit "mum with 2 young kids" barely waiting a week bwetween each! Im sure you'll have no trouble whatsoever IMO.

Can't provide any comment on your husbands career...though I suspect it will be much harder for him.

Good luck with the move!

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

jufry - have a look on www.pomsinoz.com. Great advice on there about emigrating, employment etc. It's been a godsend.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

Hi

We desperately need more nurses over here. You will definitely have no trouble getting work. I currently work 5-6 days a week as an RN

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

I am still lurking around but you are right, have had a little sojourn at the snow and also before that was up in Sydney working for a month.

Snow is great too, bumper season and looks like lasting right through the winter.

jufry, I can give you some info re. your husband, will send you a message. Aussie John actually sent me a message suggesting to look up this thread in case I could help.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

i would say as a frequent patient, the Alfred and also the Austin hospital and St Vincents do need staff in those fields indeed!! (Melbourne) also RPA Sydney.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

also, private nursing bank/agency, would find you work, there are always quie a few nursing agency nurses on staff when Im in the hospital, be it private or public(I go to both) just PM me for more.

8. Re: Nurse coming to Melbourne or Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 06, 2009