We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Studio City
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Hi, we will be visiting our son for 5-6 days while he is studying abroad at Monash. We have already toured Melbourne city a few years ago. Now that we are lucky enough to go back we are looking for ideas of somewhere we might be able to go with him for a few days. We won't have a car so will most likely want to travel by public transportation.

Also would love suggestions on where to stay near the Clayton campus.

Thank you!

11 replies to this topic
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

All my suggestions were suddenly negated by "we won't have a car". If you want to "get away", you will need a car. Public transport outside Melbourne is quite limited and generally only takes you to populated areas.

So...suggestions by public transport. Take a V-line train to a regional centre. From Monash, the obvious one is Traralgon or Morwell, as most trains depart from Clayton Station. However, I can't think of anything to do once you're there.

Other centres like Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo have much more to do in town, but they are on the opposite side of Melbourne to Monash. Geelong has a lovely waterfront area and there is a lot to do down there. Ballarat has Sovereign Hill, the Wildlife Park and the Botanic Gardens, all of which are accessible by local bus. Bendigo has a lot of attractions based on gold and the Chinese influence which are easily accessed by the Talking Tram.

A couple of "get away" suggestions - the RACV resort in Creswick is a 20 minute bus ride from Ballarat Station. It has a golf course and is set in a forest. The small town of Creswick is 20 minutes's walk away and has a wonderful authentic French patisserie.

Halls Gap is also accessible by public transport, but not as easily. V-line train to Ballarat, coach to Stawell then bus to Halls Gap will take 4 or 5 hours, but Halls Gap is walkable, there are heaps of bushwalks beginning in HG itself and you will see plenty of wild kangaroos and cockatoos. Halls Gap is in a stunning valley with views of the Grampians on both sides. You would need to spend 2 or 3 nights here to make it worthwhile, but it is one of the most magical places in Victoria.

If you are prepared to hire a car for a few days, you have so much more open to you. Phillip Island, Wilsons Promontory, the Gippsland Lakes, Walhalla, Baw Baw - all on the east or south eastern side of Melbourne so easily accessed from Monash.

Edited: 7:46 pm, April 09, 2018
Studio City
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Thank you very much for the info. I was thinking not having a car could be a problem. Perhaps I will look into getting one for a few days.

Is the Yarra Valley easily accessible?

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

By car? Yes. By public transport? No.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Hello. Our daughter is also at Monash, Clayton campus. We live south of Sydney , New South Wales, and when we fly down to visit her, we stay in Melbourne CBD, close to the Southern Cross Train Station., as we don't hire a car. This makes it easier to plan a trip to say Ballarat or Bendigo, or even Halls Gap. Daughter usually meets up with us in CBD. You could easily plan a trip with your son from Southern Cross Station. Hope this helps.

Studio City
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I will check out the area.

He is excited to study there for a semester.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

I think staying in the CBD is a great idea. However, my question is, will your son be studying whilst you are visiting, or will he be free to be with you during your stay? I think that will effect where you stay. If he will be with you the entire time, I think the CBD may be your better option. However, if he is studying and your time is limited with him, then staying near the campus would be better. Hotels near Monash campus are the Monash hotel or the Clayton Monash motor inn.

https://www.monashhotel.com.au/

http://www.claytonmonashmotorinn.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Yes, I'm afraid that it is hard to get around Melbourne without a car. Are you actually staying with your son?

Either way, if you have a car, it would be much easier to get around and save lots of time. The drive to the outer areas of Melbourne quite easy, for example, from Clayton campus, you can drive to:

Phillip Island as it only take you 1.5 hours approx

Healesville (Yarra Valley region) - 1 hour approx

Mornington Peninsula - 1 hour approx

Hope this helps.

Studio City
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Thank you all again!

We will be there over a weekend so the hope is he will come stay with us. We will go to the campus at some point so that we can see it.

We may end up just doing a few day trips with tour companies while we are there.

My husband and I are spending most of our vacation in New Zealand and then will come spend a few days in Melbourne.

Since we were in Australia just a few years ago, we wanted to see somewhere new.

We are traveling from Los Angeles so we are trying to fit in as much as possible!!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

If you are doing a few trips with tour companies, then I would recommend staying in the CBD.

Studio City
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton

Thank you. I appreciate all the good advice.

Reply to: weekend get away from Monash University in Clayton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted