We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

Hi,

I am planning to see either the sunset or sunrise from 12 Apostles in Mid june. Therefore, i would like to know if it is safe to drive from 12 Apostle to Apollo after sunset or vice versa before sunrise?

Understand that there will be animals at night but is this stretch of read has them?

8 replies to this topic
Perth
Level Contributor
117 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

Mate the standard response is always try to avoid driving from 1 hour before sunset until at least 1 hour after sunrise. Reality is that animals in Australia that can permenantly destroy a vehicle are moat active in the hour before sunset and then the next 3 hours and then the few hours before sunrise until about an hour after it.

I am going to assume you are a photographer and that you really want that sunrise picture. My advice is go to bed mid afternoon, leave for the trip about 2200 and allow double the normal time for the trip. Do not try and race the sunrise on the day you want to be there.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

Sunset at that time will be around 5 - 5.30pm at that time of the year the section across Cape Otway is one of the most difficult sections of the GOR and needs a lot of extra care due to the nature of the route and the risk of animal activity is high. I’ve done that section at night and am not keen to repeat the experience. If you were staying a night at Port Campbell that is the best town to visit the 12A from to see a sunset/sunrise from.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

I couldn’t edit my post I would be very reluctant to drive from Apollo Bay to the 12A late afternoon and return at night or drive to the 12A before dawn just to see the sunset sunrise. Just my thoughts on what you are planning to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

Not a super idea and the difficulty is, as you are travelling from/to Apollo Bay, you will have to drive through the Otway rainforest to get there, so the chances of animals on the road is far greater, than if you were staying in Port Campbell, which you'll be driving along the coast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

You won't want to drive that section of road more than once. At any time of day. Stay in Port Campbell for the sunrise/sunset and avoid any major backtracking.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

Completely agree. The only place to stay if you want sunrise/sunset viewing is Port Campbell, which is about 10 kilometres from the 12 Apostles. Allow 20-30 minutes for that drive in the dark and stick to 40-50 km/h.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

I would agree that 90 minute section has probably the highest risk of animal activity on the GOR. For me, it would be a slow, careful 2.5 -3 hour drive at night. I'd rather spend the night at Port Campbell or take the photos around Apollo Bay.

All the best

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo

We did our 12A sunrise and sunset drives between Port Campbell and 12A. Much shorter easier less wind-y stretches of road. Saw wildlife glowing eyes in the paddocks but none close to the road. Just took it easy and slow and both of us watching carefully.

Reply to: Night or early morning Driving from 12 Apostles to Apollo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted