We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
213 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

I will stay 2.5 days in Melbourne. My plan is to visit rainbow houses at Brighton. Other two full days joining local tours and then earlier morning flight back home. In view of my schedule, I need to live close to transportation that I can catch my flight in earlier morning, and with small cafe/bakeries that I can buy breakfast as I leave early for day tours. I therefore look for accommodation at the CBD. The following hotels seem to be within my budget:

Great Southern Hotel Melbourne

Pensione Hotel Melbourne

Jasper Hotel

I welcome comments/suggestions for other the above/other hotels in the district. I have not much knowledge but would also like to find a "boutique" hotels that are less chain-hotel liked. Thanks in advance!

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

We stayed at the Pensione Hotel just this week for 3 nights. To sum up, my comments would be:

The rooms are EXTREMELY compact. If you are travelling with a lot of luggage, I would look elsewhere. We had a lot of luggage as we were on a 3 week trip which included a wedding (so we had formal attire with us) and had nowhere to store clothing or cases so spent a lot of time trying to not to trip over.

Location is good. It's on the edge of the CBD but is still walking distance to most sights, a d there were 2 tram stops on 5 different lines a 2-3 mins walk away, and Southern Cross station is about 5 mins walk. So very convenient in that regard.

Other general comments: rooms were clean, nicely decorated and well equipped. Staff friendly and helpful. Decent cafe, Oliver's, right next door which is handy for breakfast if you have an early start.

Any other questions let me know. Can't comment on the others I'm afraid, other than to say that looking at Google maps the Jasper Hotel has the best location IMPO.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,998 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

Mid-range can mean a lot of different things to other people. So you’re often better off stating an approximate nightly budget, plus your dates of travel.

That way the locals may be able to offer alternate suggestions that may suit.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

My range is about AUD100-150. There are too many choices in the district and hence I appreciate advice to narrow down the scope. Personally I prefer those not so business-like (eg., IBIS) that could provide me a more relaxing atmosphere. Thank you!

Edited: 1:10 am, October 09, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,998 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

Hotel rates are not static, so your dates of travel will determine what is available in that range.

For example, if you happen to be staying a Sunday night this October, that range would be enough to cover just about all the Mantra, Oaks, Quest brands, plus Holiday Inn, Vibe, Mercure and then some.

However, change that to a Friday and Saturday night, and your budget will probably be limited to the properties you've listed.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

Thanks London86. Yes, this Pensione Hotel is really small.

The CBD is a big area. In fact, not sure if those close to Flinders Street or South Cross station should be the ideal location? Since I only stay 2.5 days hence location close to accessible/popular transportation will be great.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

The CBD is not a big area. There is a free tram zone to get you quickly and easily from one side to the other.

The most central spot geographically is Bourke and Swanston St.

You can walk from Spencer st to Spring st in half an hour. Where will your tours leave from and at what time?

If you are taking Skybus to the airport then Spencer St is the closest area to Southern Cross Station.

You will need to take a train (using a MYKI card) to Brighton beach for the beach huts. You can take any of the stations in the CBD to get there via the city loop.

There are literally dozens of cafes in the CBD where you can get breakfast.

Cheers, UF

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

Thanks Unclefey. I have two whole days at Melbourne. To save effort getting theMYKI, I may join two whole-day tours.

In this case, the hotel I stay should be easily access to/from airport. How about the below hotels? I have checked the price in Feb 2018 during my stay and the prices sound affordable to me. Mainly stay for 3 nights and hence kitchen/breakfast are not very important. Since the rate is charged non-refundable, hope to get more advice before committing. Thanks a lot.

Great Southern Hotel

Jazz Corner

Metro Apartments on Bank Place

Brandy Hotel Central.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

I have stayed at the Bank apartments for a one night stay. Smallest room I have ever had in Melbourne and a bit noisy. Since it was just a one night for the money it was ok, but again like the Pensione, not a lot of storage space. I know they have a range of accommodation there and you get what you pay for.

The Jazz hotel is a little out of the way but has some great, funky rooms and is close to Victoria Market.

I have not stayed there but would be my pick if prices were close.

Cheers,

UF

Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

Jasper is quite good actually, almost budget boutique. Location is quite good and surrounded by cheap food. It has a nice lobby with bar and restaurant too.

I would recommend

Edited: 7:23 am, October 15, 2017
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD

Of the four hotels you have mentioned, I would say the Brady is the most central. However, if you are concerned about getting back to Southern Cross station early, then just a reminder that Southern Cross station is not central and you will need to get public transport there from not only the Brady, but also Jazz and Metro Bank hotels. The Great Southern is literally next to Southern Cross station.

What time does your flight leave?

The Jazz and Brady are within 5 minutes walk of each other, but the Jazz is in a much more quieter part of the city - opposite Flagstaff gardens. Metro Bank apartments are in a laneway off Collins St. Everything being equal, I would recommend the Brady, but simply on location, as I have not stayed at any of the hotels you have mentioned.

Reply to: Help for mid-range hotel in Melbourne CBD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted