We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport shopping

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Topic
Airport shopping

Hi all,

Quick question, as we are not allowed to bring Honey into Melbourne I need to buy at the airport upon arrival as one of my parties has a dependent issue and must buy her manuka honey immediately due to some health thingy (it's complicated), may I know if there are shops at the arrival terminal that sells and are the pricing reasonable? Thanks in advance for any information, much appreciated.

Jac

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
15 replies to this topic
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport shopping

I have seen it in one of the souvenir gift shops but they are undergoing terminal upgrades so some shops night not be where I remember them. I think it is called The Australian Way. There is one airside and one in the departures lounge, which will be upstairs from where you exit after Quarantine.

Otherwise all health food stores and chemists have this product and larger supermarkets too. I don't know what "strength" your friend needs.

As to what is "reasonable" I have found the stronger versions eye-wateringly expensive - over $80 a jar.

Cheers,

UF

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport shopping

Hello,

You are able to purchase from Duty Free online for pick up after arrival. There is a collection booth on the way to customs and immigration before luggage collection.

melbourneairport.com.au/shopping-eating/…

Otherwise there are places to purchase in Melbourne.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport shopping

If you want a "hit" of honey simply bring a small amount with you and eat it before customs/quarantine ... either on the aircraft or just in the walkways.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport shopping

Thx UF, Christine B and able58 for the very fast responses! Well she sorta conditioned herself into relying on UMF15+ after her cancer went into regression and claims to need it daily, I'm no pharmaceutical expert to verify although I have my reservations so I just try to comply to Ensure that we can have a great trip together 😝. She had been paying sgd$150+ for her UMF15+ here so actually AUD $80+ maybe considered cheaper and great news for her. Alternatively, I may just do as Christine suggested and order online to collect after custom for ease of mind and minimise time and efforts spent on searching , oh and able58 she IS going to pack a little straw with her honey to suckle on the aircraft as you've said lol!

Cheers all, so glad to have find possible solutions.

Jac

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,594 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport shopping

Well if she finds the honey is cheaper here she is welcome to take as much as she likes _out_ of the country :-)

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport shopping

@yorkfoodie, I suspect THAT would be her plan actually LOL !

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport shopping

Here's a link to Coles, one of our largest supermarkets and a list of their Manuka honey.

https:/…

Edited: 6:01 am, August 17, 2017
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport shopping

Thanks able58, the highest in Coles seems to be UMF10+ but the price, oh the price is so very affordable! I reckon if we can't get the 15, two weeks on the 10 shouldn't be much of an issue(I hope) , I'll just have to pitch it to her 😝 . Thanks once again for the link!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport shopping

Woolworths, our other big supermarket chain has Bee Vital 15+ at $30 for a 250g jar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport shopping

Sorry, double post

Edited: 11:09 am, August 19, 2017
Reply to: Airport shopping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted